Tenants Home Improvements

As the tenant of a council property you have the right to carry out some types of home improvement at your own expense, but you must get written agreement from the council before you start work. 

If you have a flexible tenancy agreement you do not have the right to carry out any changes to the property, we will consider your request but would normally only give permission if you have a secure tenancy. 

If you are a secure tenant you will need our approval in writing before you start any work. Depending on the improvements you wish to carry out you may also need to seek planning permission and building regulations approval before you start.

Improvements you will need permission for

  • structural alterations such as removal of an internal wall or sub-dividing any bedroom or living room or additions, these include laminate and hard flooring
  • alterations to the council’s fixtures and fittings, such as replacing kitchen units, doors, bathroom suites
  • any work connected to the provision of services to the property (gas, water, electricity and drainage), including new gas fire, extra radiators, boiler, wall lights, over bath showers, free standing shower units, solar panels and wind turbines
  • the erection of any radio or television aerial or satellite dish. Note satellite dishes cannot be fitted to flats
  • any external decoration, provision of fencing and removal of any established hedge
  • construction of a vehicle hard standing, caravan parking or erecting a car port
  • erecting a garage, conservatory, greenhouse, shed etc. Construction of major garden features such as ponds, decking or patios

For more information on how to apply to carry out improvement works to your property, contact Virginia Nieves-Pearce using the contact information below.

Council Homes- Tenants Improvements
Council Homes- Tenants Improvements

Responsive Repairs Floor 2, Zone D, Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom