Repairs to council homes

Reporting a repair, what we will repair, your responsibilities, annual gas service, emergency repairs and more.

Utility emergencies and out of hours service

Gas leaks

If you smell gas in your home:

  • make sure all gas appliances are switched off
  • turn off the main source of the gas (if possible)
  • open windows

Do not smoke, operate a mobile phone or electrical switches in the property whilst doing the above. Leave the property and phone Transco on 0800 111 999 immediately.

After you have called Transco, call us on 020 8726 6101 to report the issue for an emergency call out. Do not go back into the property until advised to do so.

Water Leaks outside your property

For water leaks outside the boundary of your property, report to your water provider. Details of your water provider can be found on your water rates bill.

The telephone numbers for the main water providers are:

  • Thames Water: 0800 714 614
  • Southern Water: 0845 278 0845
  • SES Water: 01737 772000

Out of hours service

Our out of hours service is for emergency repairs that cannot wait until the next working day. Our staff will handle your enquiry, and if it is felt not to be an emergency, they may pass it to our contractors to respond during normal working hours.

To report an out of hours emergency repair, call us on 020 8726 6101.

Repairs - council homes

51.371694353141, -0.098737478256226


Floor 2, Zone D, Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom