Tenants home improvements

As a tenant of a council property, you may have the right to carry out some types of home improvement at your own expense. But you must get written approval from us, as your landlord, before you start work. 

If you have a flexible tenancy agreement, you do not have the right to carry out any changes to the property. We will consider your request, but would normally only give our approval if you have a secure tenancy. 

If you have a secure tenancy agreement, you will need our approval in writing, before you start any work. Depending on the type of work you wish to carry out, you may also need to get planning permission and building control permission before you start.

Improvements you will need our approval for

  • structural alterations such as removal of an internal wall or sub-dividing any bedroom or living room or additions, these include laminate and hard flooring
  • alterations to the council’s fixtures and fittings, such as replacing kitchen units, doors, bathroom suites
  • any work connected to the provision of services to the property (gas, water, electricity and drainage), including new gas fire, extra radiators, boiler, wall lights, over bath showers, free standing shower units, solar panels and wind turbines
  • the erection of any radio or television aerial or satellite dish. Note satellite dishes cannot be fitted to flats
  • any external decoration, provision of fencing and removal of any established hedge
  • construction of a vehicle hard standing, caravan parking or erecting a car port
  • erecting a garage, conservatory, greenhouse, shed etc. Construction of major garden features such as ponds, decking or patios

Use the contact details below to request more information on how to apply to carry out improvement works to your property.

Council homes - tenants improvements

Council homes - tenants improvements

Responsive Repairs, Floor 2 - Zone D, Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom