London Borough of Croydon

Your responsibilities

Repairs that are your responsibility - Internal

These are:

  • clearing blocked internal waste pipes and traps
  • replacing light bulbs, electrical fuses and plug tops as necessary
  • replacing strip lighting and light bulbs in sealed bathroom units
  • maintaining and replacing internal doors, hinges, locks and brackets
  • repairing and replacing internal door frames and skirting boards
  • repairing and replacing all kitchen cupboards
  • repairing any cracked or broken glass to both the interior and exterior of the property (if you are unable to provide a crime reference number)
  • minor repairs to floors, including tiles and other floor coverings
  • minor repairs to plaster*
  • repair to minor cracks to ceilings*
  • replacing waste plugs and chains for sinks, basins and baths
  • curtain fittings and rails, and any shelving or clothes airers
  • replacing toilet seats, insulation jackets to hot water cylinders or tanks
  • tiling to walls in kitchens and bathrooms or tiles to hearths and fire surrounds
  • maintaining any gas and/or electrical appliances that you have fitted
  • regularly checking and replacing any smoke detectors fitted in the property

* minor repairs are those that are possible to carry out without the need for special tools or expensive materials and equipment.

Repairs that are your responsibility - external

If your property has a private garden you are responsible for grass cutting, hedge cutting and the following work:

  • repairing and replacing fences between private gardens (we will only repair or replace fences that adjoin roads, footpaths, alleyways or communal gardens)
  • gardens (we will repair or replace fences that adjoin roads, footpaths, alleyways or communal gardens)
  • repairing and replacing paths in private gardens
  • replacing washing lines
  • all repairs to free standing sheds in private gardens
  • cutting back or lopping any trees within the boundaries of the property

Windows and glazing

You are responsible for replacing any cracked or broken glass inside your property and for the full cost of repairing or replacing external glazing arising through carelessness or deliberate damage or where you cannot provide a crime reference number.

If damage has been caused by a break in or vandalism you must:

  • Report this to the police and obtain a crime reference number
  • Provide us with full details of the incident and the crime reference number

We will always board up any external broken windows or doors to ensure that the property is kept safe.


Repairs - council homes

020 8726 6101
Address Line:

Floor 3, Zone D

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk




Help downloading files