London Borough of Croydon

What can and can't be recycled

What can be recycled

The sites accept a wide array of materials, helping residents to recycle as much as possible. You may be required to complete an honesty form confirming your waste is from your property.

All items must be your own household waste (day-to-day rubbish or recycling from your home or garden). Please sort your materials before your visit. 

For recycling:

  • paper and magazines (including shredded paper)
  • card and cardboard
  • books
  • plastic bottles and household plastic containers
  • glass bottles and jars
  • food and drink cans
  • scrap metal
  • green garden waste (no animal bedding)
  • wood
  • textiles
  • shoes
  • engine oil
  • cooking oil
  • car and domestic batteries
  • fluorescent tubes and long-life bulbs
  • large electrical goods
  • small electrical appliances
  • soil and rubble
  • plasterboard
  • bric a brac
  • bikes
  • fridges
  • liquid food and drinks cartons
  • lawnmowers and garden machinery (please discharge any oil and petrol first)

Recycled where possible:

  • mattresses
  • carpets
  • rigid plastics (eg toys, garden furniture, plant pots)

For disposal:

  • non-recyclable household waste
  • water based paint (with the lid off and the paint dried) 

Report a problem with a household reuse and recycling centre by completing the online form.  

DIY waste restrictions

Items generated from construction are not classed as household waste, whether you made the home improvements or hired a contractor to do this on your behalf. For example:

  • bricks
  • timber
  • tiles
  • plasterboard
  • soil
  • paving stones
  • fixtures and fittings such as baths, sinks, boilers and radiators etc
  • any other materials used in the construction of your home or garden

Croydon offers a concession to residents undertaking home improvements for small amounts of DIY waste - a small amount would be:

  • up to 1 car boot load, or
  • 6 rubble bags up to 535mm x 820mm (20” x 30”)

Residents making repeat visits to dispose of this type of waste may be refused access. If you have a large amount of this type of waste to dispose of, you should consider hiring a skip or paying a registered waste carrier to remove it for you and dispose of it at a licensed facility.

Waste we don't accept

  • asbestos
  • chemicals
  • gas bottles
  • oil based paints or varnishes
  • tyres

For advice on how to dispose of these and other types of hazardous waste, contact the Corporation of London on 020 7332 3433 or visit the household waste-hazardous waste webpage.

We do not accept commercial waste

Commercial waste is waste produced by a business or commercial activity (even if this takes place within a home). For example, if waste collection and disposal forms any part of a business arrangement such as a man with a van service or disposal of items by trades people carrying out work in a home, this is a commercial activity and therefore commercial waste.

Rental properties

Landlords should note that waste produced from properties that are rented out and disposed of by, or on behalf of the landlord, is classed as commercial waste and as such must be disposed of at a legitimate commercial waste facility which will be chargeable.

Home businesses

Waste generated by a business operating from home is also viewed as commercial waste and as such individuals must arrange a commercial collection.

Moving into a new home

If you are moving into a new home, the clearance of the property, garages and sheds is the responsibility of the previous owner.