Benefits you may be entitled to

An overview of what benefits are available to apply for, including Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

There are a range of benefits that you can claim, depending on your circumstances. These benefits are issued by both Croydon Council and by the government. 

Tax credits are ending and most people will move to Universal Credit instead. You won’t be moved automatically. Get ready for your Universal Credit Switchover today.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs if you're on a low income or aren't working. It’s administered by the Department of Welfare and Pensions (DWP). Find out more about Universal Credit on GOV.UK.

Get ready for your Universal Credit Switchover today (PDF, 2MB)

Housing Benefit

Most residents in Croydon do not need to apply for Housing Benefit, as Universal Credit includes money for rent. Certain groups of people are still entitled to Housing Benefit. Find out more about Housing Benefit.

Council Tax Support

If you're on a low income, you may be able to get some support to help pay your Council Tax, in the form of Council Tax Support. Council Tax Support is administered by Croydon Council. Find out more about Council Tax Support

Emergency support

If you live in Croydon, are in financial hardship and need emergency support, you can apply to the discretionary support fund if you need help with housing payments. Find out more about discretionary housing payments.

Manage your benefits in My Account

You can view your payment dates, download notification letters and see a breakdown of your benefits claim, 24 hours a day 7 days a week in My Account - benefits.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax support

Office hours
Monday - Friday9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Saturday - SundayClosed

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
Croydon Council, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom