Children whose parents receive the following may be entitled to free school meals:
- income support
- Universal Credit if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household earned income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- income-based jobseeker's allowance
- support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- child tax credit, and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. (If you receive working tax credit as well as child tax credit you will not be entitled to free school meals).
- the guarantee element of state pension credit.
- If your child is eligible for and getting free school meals on 31 March 2018, they’ll remain eligible until 31 March 2022 regardless if your income changes .
What happens after I apply?
We will assess your claim for free school meals and write to you to inform you of the outcome. If your child is entitled to free school meals we will also contact their school to let them know this.
For further advice about free school meal entitlement, please contact your child's school.
If you would like to apply for free school meals, complete the Free School Meals online form.