Help with school uniform costs
The council does not currently provide help with the cost of school uniform and PE kit.
If you need help with these costs you should ask your child’s school directly.
Free school meals
Children whose parents receive the following may be entitled to free school meals:
- income support
- Universal Credit if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household earned income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
- income-based jobseeker's allowance
- support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- child tax credit, and have an annual income that does not exceed £16,190 as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. (If you receive working tax credit as well as child tax credit you will not be entitled to free school meals).
- the guarantee element of state pension credit
If your child is eligible for and getting free school meals on 31 March 2018, they’ll remain eligible until 31 March 2022 regardless if your income changes.
As of September 2020 there is a temporary extension of free school meal eligibility to include some children of groups who have no recourse to public funds (NRPF).
These groups are:
- children of Zambrano carers
- children of families with no recourse to public funds with a right to remain in the UK on grounds of private and family life under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights
- children of families receiving support under Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 who are also subject to a no recourse to public funds restriction
These groups are subject to a maximum household income threshold of £31,500 per year for London, and £28,200 for areas outside of London.
The government is also temporarily extending eligibility to children of a subset of failed asylum seekers supported under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. This group is not subject to a maximum household income threshold as these families are not able to work.
What happens after I apply?
We will assess your claim for free school meals and write to you to inform you of the outcome. If your child is entitled to free school meals we will also contact their school to let them know this.
For further advice about free school meal entitlement, please contact your child's school.
If you would like to apply for free school meals, complete the Free School Meals online form.