Disabled facilities grants are awarded for essential adaptations that improve disabled persons' freedom of movement around their homes. This work includes:
- widening doors
- installing ramps
- providing a specially adapted room in which it is safe to leave a disabled person unattended
- installing a stair lift to improve access to a bathroom, kitchen, or bedroom
- installing a downstairs bathroom
- improving or installing a heating system suitable for the disabled person
- adapting heating or lighting controls so that they are easier to use by a disabled person.