London Borough of Croydon

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Please see Coronavirus service updates for the latest information about affected council services

Britain is set to formally leave the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you will get either settled or pre-settled status.

The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021 but we encourage local European citizens to apply before 31 December 2020 when Brexit transition rules are set to end.

It’s free to apply to the scheme.

Croydon Council can help residents complete the ID verification part of the process.

Who can apply

You can find out who is required to apply for pre-settled or settled status on GOV.UK.

There will be no change to current rights under EU law until the end of the planned implementation period on 31 December 2020.

Identity verification

You will need to verify your ID during your application. There are several ways of doing this.

Android and iPhone app

You can use it to scan your ID yourself using the free EU exit: ID document check app.

Android: download the app on Google Play
iOS: download the app on the App Store.

Online and by post

If you are currently in the UK, you can apply online and then post your documents for checking.

Start an application online at GOV.UK

In person

You can make an appointment to bring your ID document to us to scan and verify it for you. You will then be able to make an application for pre-settled or settled status.

We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases you should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status.

To book an appointment to use the EU settlement service, call 020 8726 6000 extension 50106 between 1:30pm and 4pm, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday.

Appointments will take place at:

Croydon Register Office
Fell Road

Make sure you are on time or you may have to wait whilst others are seen.

What to bring to your appointment

  • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid biometric residence permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us, if you do not have one of these ID documents, contact UK Visas and Immigration.

Find out more about the EU settlement scheme.

Home Office support

The Home Office offer help with using the online application: 

Phone 03333 445 675 (Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm)
Text 'VISA' to 07537 416 944

Anyone with hearing and/or speech difficulties can make use of the Next Generation Text (NGT) service on a smartphone, computer or tablet or text phone by dialling 18001 in front of the phone number above.

There is also a published list of locations where you can get your biometric ID document scanned if you need to.

Further advice and guidance