How to register a new born baby
You must register your baby's birth within 42 days of his or her date of birth.
If your baby was born in Croydon, the birth should be registered by the Croydon register office.
Appointments must be booked online via the Registrar eBookings system.
Please do not attend the register office without making an appointment. If you turn up without first making an appointment, you will have to wait until after all our appointments are dealt with before you are seen. (This could take some hours).
Please note: your booking is not complete until you receive an email with a booking reference
You don't have to register the birth at Croydon Register office. You can make an appointment to attend any register office in England or Wales. If you choose to make a declaration of the birth at another register office, you will not receive the birth certificate on the day of the appointment. Details of the birth will be sent to Croydon register office who will register the child. You will then be sent a short birth certificate in the post.
If you would like a full birth certificate, the is a cost of £4. you will need to make payment of £4 at the office where you make the declaration. Additional certificates are charged at £4 per certificate at the time of declaration.
Please Note we Cannot accept cash payments
What to bring with you
- a copy of the discharge/notification letter given to you from the hospital
- or the "Red Book" (Personal Child Health Record)
Booking an appointment
Appointments must be booked online via the Registrar eBookings system. Please do not attend the register office without an appointment.. Please note: your booking is not complete until you receive an email with a booking reference.
At the appointment
If you are not married but would like the father's details to be entered onto the register, both parents must attend together. If one of you can’t be there, that person will need to fill in a ‘Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ form. That form will need to be witnessed/signed by a solicitor.
We will give you a short birth certificate free of charge. You can buy additional short or full certificates from the registrar on the day. The cost of additional certificates is £4 if purchased at the appointment. PLEASE NOTE Cash payments are not accepted.
Any certificates purchased after registration will cost £10 and must be purchased online
Who can register a baby's birth?
- if you are the parents of the child and you were married to each other at the time of the baby's birth, either of you can register the birth
- if you are not married, the mother can register the birth without the father's details being entered into the register
- if you are not married, the father's details can only be entered if both parents attend together. ( unless you have the statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage)
- where there is a parental responsibility agreement in force or either parent has obtained an appropriate court order. This document can be presented at the time of the registration
- if the father's details are not recorded in the birth register, it may be possible for the birth to be re-registered to include his details at a later date.
What you need when registering your baby's birth
You will need the following details to complete the registration of your child's birth:
- place and date of birth of the baby (and for twins, triplets, etc. the time of each baby's birth)
- baby's sex, forename(s) and surname (you may give surname of your choice)
- mother's (or both parents') forename(s); surname(s); address(es) and occupation(s)
- mother's maiden surname and any previous married surname (if applicable)
Please check all spelling of names and any character accents in the name. Your child may be refused a passport if information is recorded incorrect. It may be advisable to bring your passport/national identity card with you.
How do I pay?
Payment can be made by:
- Debit or Credit card
- Cheques (made payable to 'Croydon Council')
Croydon Register Office
Ground Floor Offices
Croydon Town Hall
Monday - Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm (Closed on the first Thursday of every month for training (mornings only))