London Borough of Croydon

New fee taking effect on 1 February 2019

From 1 February 2019 the fee for a materials will be as follows:

£10 per day or £135 for 14 days.

Licence summary

You will need a licence from the council to place materials on the public highway.

Eligibility criteria

  • A licence is valid for four weeks and can only be obtained once a site meeting has taken place with an area enforcement officer.
  • Adequate signing, lighting and guarding of licensed materials must be provided between half an hour before sunset and half an hour after sunrise.
  • Materials must not be placed or stored outside the licensed area.
  • Materials must not be stored on grass verges.

Please see the general licensing conditions in the guidance notes.

Legislation summary

We can serve notice under the appropriate section of the Highways Act 1980 to deal with the removal of the obstruction.

For further information and advice please contact us on the details below.

Application evaluation process

Once your application is received, an area enforcement officer will contact you to make arrangements to carry out a site inspection.

The inspection will be to ensure that the proposed work will not cause an inconvenience or any risk to a road user's health and safety.

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following: approved footpath / road closure, nature of work, timescale and the impact on local amenities.

At all times applicants must maintain a satisfactory walk way to pedestrians and consideration for disabled people by allowing a walk way of a minimum 1.2m width.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. Your licence will only be issued to you when the site visit has taken place.

How to apply

Applications and payment are only accepted online, please use the 'Pay for it' link on the left to apply.

Licences are valid for two weeks. You should submit the fee of:

  • £10 per day or £135 for 14 days
  • £100 bond payment

The bond will be refunded after the completion of work and providing there is no damage to the enclosed public land.

If you already hold a licence and would like to extend you will need to submit a fee payment and provide the new dates.

Failed application redress

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon CR9 3NG.

Licence holder redress

Any licence holder who objects to any of the licensing conditions as detailed in the attached guidance notes, may appeal to the Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon CR9 3NG.

Consumer complaint

Area enforcement officer to investigate and pursue complaint.

Customer complaint

We would always advise in the first instance that in the event of a complaint you make contact with the contractor directly, if you are not satisfied with the response please contact the area enforcement team on the details below.


Streetscene (Admin)

020 8726 6200
Address Line:

Bernard Weatherill House

5th Floor, Zone D

8 Mint Walk




Help downloading files