Before you can get married or have a civil partnership, you and your partner must give notice at a register office. This must happen at least 29 days before your ceremony. When you give notice, you sign a legal statement to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. Giving notice is separate from getting married or forming a civil partnership.

We are very busy taking notices at present and our next available appointments are from August

When to give notice

You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony. When you give notice you must have details of where your ceremony will be held, so you must arrange the ceremony before you give notice. Once you have given notice, you have 1 year to hold your ceremony.

If you or your partner is from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

You may need to wait up to 70 days before your ceremony.

Where to give notice

You must make an appointment to see us at Croydon Register Office.

You must have lived in the district covered by that register office for at least the previous 7 days. If you and your partner live in different registration districts, you must each give notice separately, in the registration district you live in.

If you’re planning a Church of England wedding

Contact the church you plan to have your ceremony at to check what you must do to give notice.

Getting married abroad

Visit GOV.UK's getting married abroad webpage to find out where to get advice about local marriage laws and what documents you will need.