Scams can include:
- telephone calls
- text messages
The golden rule is that if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
How to reduce the chances of being scammed
- be suspicious of unsolicited offers and things where you have to respond at once
- avoid making expensive 090 premium rate phone calls – often used by swindlers to carry out scams
- make sure you know who it is you are dealing with
- protect your personal information – only share credit card details with a company you know and trust
- read all the small print
- never pay for a "free" gift
- seek professional advice from an accountant or solicitor if necessary, particularly if large sums of money are involved
How to stop unsolicited telephone calls
You can register with the Telephone Preference Service by phone or online to stop receiving marketing or business calls that are unsolicited.
Register by phone
Telephone: 0845 070 0707
Register online on the Telephone Preference Service website.
How to report a scam
There are a number of services that can give you advice on how you can protect yourself and others from becoming a victim of scammers.
Citizens Advice Consumer Service offers a telephone and online services where you can report a scam.
Citizens Advice Consumer Service
03454 04 05 06
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out how you can report a scam on the Citizen Advice website.
You can report scams and fraud to Action Fraud, which is the UK's national reporting centre for fraud and internet crime.
Friends Against Scams
Friends Against Scams is a National Trading Standards Scams Team initiative which aims to protect and prevent people from becoming victims of scams by empowering people to take a stand against scams. It provides free online training and offers advice on how to raise awareness in your community. You can find their online training on their website.
The little book of big scams is a comprehensive guide on fraud prevention produced by the Metropolitan Police.
A scams advice pack is available on request to Croydon residents.
- Scambuster OFT leaflet [496.3KB]
- Scams advice pack [86.0KB]
- Scam stickers [23.1KB]
- Contact the elderly [186.0KB]
- Stop it is a scam [67.9KB]
- Removal from mailing list [11.7KB]
- Top ten investment scams [61.4KB]
- Stopping unwanted post [59.1KB]
- Stopping unwanted telephone calls [68.7KB]
- Truecall [126.5KB]