Request support for an adult

Make a request for support to help you, or someone in need, live healthy, active and independent lives.


Adults may need care and support if:

  • their health has deteriorated and they need advice and support about what to do next
  • they struggle to look after their personal care and activities of daily living
  • they provide unpaid care for a friend or relative
  • they have a learning disability or physical disability
  • their mobility is compromised due to older age or other reasons
  • they have a hearing or visual impairment that affects their day to day life

Financial assessment

Requesting support means you may need to pay for all or some of your care. We will carry a financial assessment to help you understand how much you may have to pay. There are different ways of paying for your care. To find out more visit the paying for adult social care.

Before you request support

Before making a request you may want to search Simply Connect Croydon to find local support services, or visit Community support and get involved for information on available services and advice.

Additionally, Age UK Croydon's advice service provides residents over 55 with support on a range of topics including: 

  • attendance allowance advice and application
  • welfare benefit checks
  • council tax support advice and application
  • travel concessions (Blue Badge, Taxicard, Freedom Pass)
  • pension credit advice and application
  • housing benefit advice and application
  • housing advice and application

You can telephone 020 8686 0066 or email It is open Monday to Friday, from 10am to 4pm. For more information visit Croydon Age UK website.

When you contact us

We'll work with you to come up with a plan for how we can help you achieve what matters to you. Building on your strengths, interests and values, we'll always focus on what you can do, not what you can't do.

Please read our  Adult Social Care and Health Strategy to find out more about how we work with adults who approach us for support.

Find out more about our care needs assessment process.

How to contact us

You can contact us using the relevant option: 

Members of the public

You might be offered other support by going through this process.
Start now


Use our online form to send a referral.

Start now

By phone

If you can't make an online referral you can telephone 020 8726 6500.

Additional support and advice: