London Borough of Croydon

You will need to apply for a licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act if you wish to excavate the public highway to install or maintain apparatus (such as cables, ducts and pipes) and are unable to act under a statutory undertaker's licence.

As a licence holder you must comply with the New Roads and Street Works Act and its associated secondary legislation and Codes of Practice. It is therefore important that you or your appointed contractor is familiar with the legislation and has the appropriate accreditation. If you apply for a licence and do not comply with the relevant legislation you may be fined.

For more information, please visit our apply for Street works licence page.