London Borough of Croydon

Roads and pavements services & information

  • Croydon's Streetspace Improvement Programme

    New schemes to give more road space to pedestrians and cyclists are being introduced across Croydon in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. These measures should make it easier for residents to maintain social distancing at busy areas such as the entrances to parks, shops and transport hubs. They include low traffic streets, exercise zones and expanded footways

  • National highways and transport Survey 2020/21

    Councils across the UK are asking residents to tell them what they think of transport and roads services in their area.

  • Permanent road traffic orders

    We issue public notices whenever we change parking restrictions and actively consult the public where there are major changes to parking restrictions.

  • Public rights of way

    We are responsible for ensuring that public rights of way are kept clear of obstructions and that landowners meet their responsibilities in this respect. We offer advice and where appropriate take action over blocked or disputed public rights of way.

  • Roads

    Find out about scheduled road and pathway closures, road maintenance, our road user forum and much more.

  • Pavements

    How to apply for a dropped kerb, and information about obstructed pavements and pavement maintenance.

  • Temporary road traffic orders

    We issue public notices whenever we change parking restrictions and actively consult the public where there are major changes to parking restrictions.

  • Street lighting

    We are responsible for the design, installation and maintenance of street lights and the maintenance of traffic signs, illuminated bollards and beacons in the borough.

  • Highway management

    We are responsible for the managing and maintaining of the highway assets falling within the 725km of public road network.

  • Report potholes and road damage

    Here you can report potholes, road and pavement damage. Including problems with: loose or raised kerbs, drainage, spillages, obstructions, or street lighting. 

  • Road and pavement responsibilities

    Responsibility for Croydon's roads and pavements are shared between Croydon Council and Transport for London (TfL).

  • Highway search enquiries

    The Council hold records of highway maintenance responsibilities. The information includes the extent of the adopted highway relative to a property. This information is made available on application.

  • Roundabout sponsorship

    Our roundabout sponsorship scheme is managed on our behalf by Marketing Force.

  • Highway gazetteer

    The highway gazetteer contains a list of adopted and unadopted streets in the borough.

  • Definitive map and statement 2015

    The definitive map and statement is conclusive proof of the existence and status of a right of way at the relevant date.  (4 November 2015)

  • Highways Development – S278/38 Agreements

    Highways works, required on the public highway as a result of development works are subject to a S278 Agreement. As the highway authority, we give authorisation for any work on the highway. Works cannot begin until the Section 278 agreement is completed

  • Selling vehicles on the highway

    About the rules and regulations that apply to selling vehicles on the highway.

  • Stopping up and diversion of highways

    We may authorise the stopping up or diversion of any highway in the borough for approved development works.

  • What can I do to reduce vehicle pollution?

    Trams, trains, buses, bikes, car share and walking - active, enjoyable and green ways of travelling.

  • Street works licence

    You will need to apply for a licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act if you wish to excavate the public highway to install or maintain apparatus (such as cables, ducts and pipes) and are unable to act under a statutory undertaker's licence.

  • Advertising local events in Croydon

    Information for people wishing to put up posters or banners in Croydon to advertise their event