If you want to borrow from Croydon libraries, you first have to become a member. There is no charge for this and you do not have to live in Croydon.
You can now join online and receive a temporary membership number allowing you to reserve items and use some of the online reference services. This temporary number will not give you access to the digital library e-book service.
If you wish to join online follow the three steps below:
- Visit the library catalogue site.
- click the Logon button to the left of your screen
- then click on Register as Guest to begin the registration form.
To access our full range of services you will need a permanent membership card. To receive a permanent card please visit your local library with the relevant documents outlined below.
Membership options for different ages
Are you 16 and over?
To join the library, take one official document with your name and address on it to any Croydon library eg driving licence, allowance book, bank statement.
- You will be issued with a membership card and asked to sign it.
- When you sign your membership card, you are agreeing to abide by the byelaws of Croydon libraries.
You will be able to borrow up to 25 items (any combination of books, spoken word items, DVDs or music CDs) see library charges
- The return date will be stamped on each item borrowed.
- If they are not returned or renewed by this date, overdue charges will be made.
- Books are loaned for 3 weeks at a time (if you renew your items within this time, you can avoid paying overdue charges)
If you are a childminder or you are educating a child at home in Croydon, you can apply for a special membership card.
Are you aged 12 - 15? then get a teen library card
You will be able to borrow up to 25 items (any combination of books, spoken word items, DVDs or music CDs)
You can use the library computers in the adult library or in the children's library - parents / guardians must complete a permission form for you to use the library computers
It is free to:
- borrow books and talking books
- use computers
- reserve a book/other item if your local library doesn't have it.
There is a small charge to borrow DVDs/ Videos or CDs. If you return anything late to the library, you will have to pay a charge. We keep charges low for teenagers but get things back on time and you won't have to pay a penny!
How to get a teen library card
To join the library, your parent or guardian must show one piece of ID with their name and address e.g. driving licence or phone bill. Your parent/ guardian must sign your library card.
If your parent / guardian is not with you, you can ask to join the library and we will post your ticket to your home address for them to sign.
How to join if you are under 12
No-one is too young to join the library. All libraries have a range of books and activities for children and young people.
Your parent or carer needs to take one official document with their current name and address on it (eg driving licence, allowance book, bank statement) to any Croydon library.
- You will be issued with a membership card and your parent or carer will be asked to sign it.
- Your parent or carer will be responsible for all items borrowed on your membership card and for any charges you incur.
You will be able to borrow:
- 15 items (any combination, but a maximum of 3 DVDs, spoken word items or music CDs)
There is a small charge to borrow DVDs or CDs. If you return anything late to the library, you will have to pay a charge. We keep charges low for children but get things back on time and you won’t have to pay a penny!