Changing or improving your flat or maisonette
You must get our permission before carrying out improvements or alterations to any part of a council owned or managed property.
This includes work:
- that might affect the structure or external appearance of the building such as external decorations, the replacement of external doors and windows or the construction of items such as porches.
- to the loft space, for example, adaptations for storage purposes. Please note: the council will not normally give permission for the use of loft spaces due fire safety and insurance considerations.
Before beginning work you must send written details of what you want to do to your district housing office and discuss your plans with a housing officer.
The council may require that certain works be done in a particular way, for example, replacement windows must be of a design that doesn't alter the existing exterior of the building.
Please note: if you undertake improvements, you may still have to pay your share of major repair costs if the council repairs or renews the whole block at a later date.
How to report repairs that are the responsibility of the council
We are responsible for maintaining and repairing specific parts of council estate buildings and the grounds around them.
For details see Your lease explained.
If you notice that a repair is needed to an area that is our responsibility you can report it via the Housing repairs link in the 'Report it' section or by contacting your local repairs office (details below)
In an emergency contact your estate's registered caretaker.
If you do not have a resident caretaker, contact your local repairs office at any time.
How quickly will the repair be carried out?
Our targets for dealing with repairs depend on their urgency. These are:
- Emergency: two hours (example, serious flooding)
- Urgent: 24 hours (example, complete failure of communal lighting system)
- Priority 3: seven days (example, damaged light fitting)
- Priority 4: six weeks (example, leaking gutter)
Leasehold services team
Floor 3, Zone B
Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk