Domestic energy advice

Information about local and regional schemes to help you reduce your fuel bills, and improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Information about local and regional schemes to help you reduce your fuel bills, and improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Croydon Healthy Homes

Croydon Healthy Homes offers free support to help you reduce your fuel bills and make your home more energy efficient. Croydon Council may be able to fund a qualified energy assessor to help you find the best fuel tariffs, and ensure you receive all the support you are entitled to from your energy and water suppliers.  If you own your home or rent from a private sector landlord we can offer advice about accessing grant funding for larger energy efficiency measures.

Find out more about Croydon Healthy Homes

Grant funding for home energy improvements

Owner Occupiers and private landlords in Croydon may be eligible for grants for domestic energy improvements to their homes through the government funded Sustainable Warmth programme.  If you are an owner occupier eligible for the scheme, the grant will fully fund the fitting of the energy measures. Private landlords will have to contribute 1/3 of the costs.

Measures which can be funded:

  • Solid wall insulation (external and Internal) – older homes (built before the 1930s)
  • Cavity wall insulation – homes built since the 1930s
  • Underfloor insulation 
  • Loft insulation
  • Room-in-roof insulation
  • Air source heat pumps.  These replace your existing heating system and operate like a refrigerator in reverse, taking renewable heat energy from the external air, upgrading it to a higher temperature and delivering it into your home.  Heat pumps use electricity to operate. Replacing existing gas central heating with a heat pump may increase your heating bills (particularly if your home is not currently well insulated).  
  • High heat retention storage heaters (only fitted in homes where a heat pump is not suitable)
  • Solar photovoltaic panels – to generate free renewable electricity
  • Heating controls

Fossil fuel heating systems cannot be funded through the programme.

After you apply, a free survey will be done of your property to determine which measures are suitable for your home. This will be based on:-

  • Eligibility of your household
  • Eligibility of your home
  • Suitability of the specific measures for your home (e.g. space restrictions etc.)  

Your home must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D, E, F or G.  To find your EPC rating please visit: find an energy certificate.  If you moved into your home before 2007 and it does not have an EPC certificate, your EPC rating can be assessed as part of the application.

For a household to be eligible, one of the following must apply:

  • The gross annual household income is under £31,000, or
  • A member of the household is in receipt of a qualifying means tested benefit

If there are 4 or more people in your household and your gross annual household income is between £31,000 and £50,000, you may still be eligible.  Please contact the Croydon Healthy Homes team for more information

For private rental properties, the landlord will need to meet one third of the total cost of the works.

Eligibility is based upon the income/benefits of the tenant’s household.   The income of the landlord is not taken into consideration.

There are two Sustainable Warmth schemes currently operating in Croydon which have slightly different eligibility criteria.  Some households require a declaration from the Local Authority to become eligible.  To optimise your chance of a successful application and to reduce the risk of delays, we recommend Croydon residents apply for these schemes through the Croydon Healthy Homes service.   

The Sustainable Warmth schemes are not managed by Croydon Council, and decisions about which measures can be fitted in your home are not made by Croydon Council.  

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) and LA Flex

ECO is an obligation on energy suppliers aimed at helping households cut their energy bills and reduce carbon emissions by installing energy saving measures. Obligated energy suppliers must fund measures which improve the ability of low income, fuel poor and vulnerable households to heat their homes.  This obligation is aimed at home owners and residents in private rental properties.  Energy companies may deliver the measures themselves or provide funding for installers to meet the obligation on their behalf.   

To be eligible for ECO, a household must either meet standard ECO eligibility (being in receipt of qualifying means tested benefit) or alternative criteria set by local authorities. This latter route is known as the Local Authority Flexible Eligibility Mechanism - shortened to ‘LA Flex’ or often referred to as ‘ECO Flex’.  The government provides guidance to local authorities about setting eligibility criteria for LA Flex.  Croydon Council will publish guidance for LA Flex eligibility when the next round of ECO launches in July 2022.   Where a household meets the LA Flex criteria, they will need a signed declaration from a designated council officer in order to receive the ECO funded measures.

Croydon residents requiring a LA Flex declaration must apply through the Croydon Healthy Homes service.  The Healthy Homes team need to review evidence of how the household meets the LA Flex eligibility criteria.  In accordance with the Electricity and Gas (Energy Company Obligation) Order 2018 and associated guidance the decision to issue a declaration is at the sole discretion of the relevant local authority (Croydon Council).   

Other schemes also adopt LA Flex as eligibility criteria for receiving grant funding.  These schemes will also require a declaration signed by the designed local authority officer.

To apply visit Croydon Healthy Homes 

Big London Energy Switch

The Big London Energy Switch uses the collective buying power of customers to get energy companies to compete to win customers by offering them the lowest gas and electricity prices. When you register for the Big London Energy Switch you are joining up with other Londoners and people across the country who want to reduce their bills. Through the scheme energy companies offer tariffs which are lower than tariffs available elsewhere (including those on price comparison websites).

The Big London Energy Switch is not currently running auctions as fixed energy tariffs are much higher than standard variable (or default) tariffs at the moment

Find out more about the Big London Energy Switch

Energy events

Information about events and online workshops where you can find out more about Croydon Healthy Homes and receive advice about your energy bills and reducing energy in your home is available on our energy events page.

Croydon Energy Loans

Croydon Energy Loans are designed to improve the energy efficiency of dwellings and assist vulnerable clients who may be in fuel poverty. This can cover provision of a new gas central heating and hot water system. Applicants must be either disabled (and in receipt of a disability related benefit), and/or 60 years of age and over. If over 60 but not disabled then applicants must not have savings exceeding £5,000. The maximum loan amount is £6,000 for new applications (including fees, charges and VAT).

All loan applications should be made through the Staying Put or Croydon Home Improvement Agency using approved contractors. All loans are interest free and will be for the lifetime of the occupant(s) whilst they reside in the property. They will have to be repaid whenever the property is disposed of by sale, assignment, transfer or otherwise.

Find out more about loans and grants.

Croydon Council’s Staying Put team can be contacted on 020 8760 5505 or 

Energy Savings Trust

For other independent and impartial advice to help you reduce energy consumption in your home and cut your energy bills, visit the Energy Savings Trust website: