Deadline to register in the general election
The deadline to register to vote for the general election on 12 December 2019 has passed. You can vote in this election if you are a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen, 18 or over on the day of the election and registered to vote. Citizens of other European Union countries (other than the Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus) will not be able to vote in this election.
How to register to vote
You can register to vote online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.
Registering takes around 5 minutes and you will need you National Insurance number. If you're a British citizen living abroad, you will need your passport.
You can download a paper voter registration form, print and complete and then post to the Electoral Services team at the address below.
Who can vote
You must be:
- resident at the address where you are registering
- 18 years of age or above
- a British, Irish or European Union citizen, or
- a Commonwealth citizen who has leave to enter or remain in the UK or who does not require such leave
Find out more information regarding registration criteria.
- EU citizen European Parliament voter registration form [88.5KB]
- Mencap - guide to registering to vote [2.0MB]