London Borough of Croydon

Cherry picker licence

You will need a licence from the council to use a cherry picker on the public highway.

Eligibility criteria

  • a licence is available for one day or one week and can only be obtained once a site meeting has taken place with a neighbourhood enforcement officer.
  • footway and road closures must be arranged with traffic management before any work takes place.
  • cones and tape can be used to barrier off the area in use

To ensure that work is carried out safely adjacent to the tramway system, prior to submitting your application form, you must arrange a site visit with TFL and a neighbourhood enforcement officer in attendance. Please see the terms and conditions below.

Legislation summary

We can serve notice under the appropriate section of the Highways Act 1980 to deal with the removal of the obstruction.
For information and advice please contact us on the details below.

Application evaluation process

Once your application is received, a neighbourhood enforcement officer will contact you to make arrangements to carry out a site inspection. The inspection will be to ensure that the proposed work will not cause an inconvenience or any risk to a road user's health and safety.

Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following: approved footpath, road closure, nature of work, timescale and the impact on local amenities.

At all times applicants must maintain a satisfactory walk way to pedestrians and consideration for disabled people by allowing a walk way of a minimum 1.2m width.

Tacit consent

Tacit consent will not apply. Your licence will only be issued to you when the site visit has taken place.

How to apply

Applications and payment are only accepted online, please use the Pay for it links on this page.

Licenses are valid for 4 weeks. You should submit the fee of:

  • 1 day = £137
  • 2 days = £168
  • 3 days = £200
  • each additional day = £31.36

Bond payment

After you have paid your fee we will call you for the bond deposit of £200. This can be paid by credit or debit card.

The bond will be refunded after the completion of work, providing there is no damage to the enclosed public land.

Licence renewal

If you already hold a licence and would like to extend you must submit a new fee payment and provide the new dates.

Failed application redress

If yo are refused a licence you can appeal to Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon CR9 3NG.

Licence holder redress

Any licence holder, who objects to any of the licensing conditions as detailed in the terms and conditions below, may appeal to Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon CR9 3NG.

Consumer complaint

Neighbourhood enforcement officers will investigate and pursue complaints.

Customer complaint

If you have a complaint you should make contact with the contractor directly, if you are not satisfied with the response please contact the neighbourhood enforcement team on the details below.


Licensing team

020 8760 5466
Address Line:

Licensing team

6th Floor, Zone A

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk

Croydon CR0 1EA


Help downloading files