There are over 3,100 food premises in Croydon. These include restaurants, take-aways, pubs, clubs, supermarkets, grocers, butchers, newsagents, manufacturers and mobile and home caterers.
Our aim is to ensure that all food premises operate within the law and sell food that is safe to eat. The term food also includes the preparation, sale and onward chain of feed to animals.
We do this through;
- inspections, audits and an interventions programme of food and feed premises
- investigations of food poisoning and infectious diseases
- investigating complaints about food and food premises (Please note: GPs and hospital doctors are required by law to notify us of any cases of food poisoning and certain other infectious diseases)
- registering food and feed premises
- routine sampling and testing of food and feed
- responding to alerts from the Food Standards Agency
- giving advice on suitable food hygiene training
- food hygiene and safety advice to businesses and consumers
- promoting food hygiene through campaigns
- investigating and advising on food labelling
- approval of food manufacturing premises.
We always investigate problem with food when people purchase products or have eaten products that are not as they expect or not to the correct standard.