Your capital: savings, investments and property

The savings, investments and property that you and/or your partner may have are known as your capital. 

You cannot claim Council Tax support if you have:

  • capital of £8,000 or more
  • capital of £16,000 or more (non-working disabled claimants and pensioners)

Examples of capital include:

  • money in a bank, building society or post office account
  • stocks and shares
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
  • Premium Bonds
  • Income Bonds and Capital Bonds
  • other land and property