London Borough of Croydon

There may be a delay with reviewing and responding to crossover applications between 13 December 2019 and 3 January 2020. We plan to resume our full service by 6 January 2020.

If you want to lower the kerb in front of your property and provide vehicle access (sometimes referred to as a crossover or vehicle access over the footway) to a hard standing parking area, you will require consent from the council.

Making a dropped kerb application - residential properties only

You can apply for a dropped kerb online through My Account.

  • applications cost £150
  • if You live on a Red Route you will not be able to apply for a dropped Kerb; details of Red Routes in Croydon can be downloaded below
  • if you have a bus stop directly outside your property you cannot apply for a dropped kerb
  • if you have speed humps or trees close to your property your application may not be approved.
  • you must confirm that planning permission is not required, or provide details of confirmed planning permission
  • you must confirm that there is a vehicle registered to your address; have your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) handy when you apply
  • read the terms and conditions and agree to them before you submit your application

This is for residential properties only.  For businesses, contact the Highways Maintenace team at

Planning permission

Parking area requirements

A dropped kerb may require planning permission, especially if the parking area is not formed from porous or permeable materials to reduce water run off. Check the national planning portal for more information.

Classified roads

You will always need planning permission if the vehicle access is to be formed on to a classified road – check your road against our list.

Submitting a planning permission application

If you require planning permission, you will also need to submit a separate planning application, this costs £206.

Your planning application will need to include drawings that show:

  • your proposals satisfy highway safety requirements
  • the parking space meets minimum size specifications
  • the appropriate pedestrian visibility can be provided

In some cases, your drawings must show that vehicles can enter and leave the site in forward gear with enough visibility.

You can download a diagram showing visibility requirements (the visibility splay).

If you or someone you know is unable to complete the online application, a form is available at the bottom of this page to download and print.


Development & Environment Highways

Address Line:

6th Floor , Zone C

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk




Help downloading files