If you want to lower the kerb in front of your property and provide vehicle access to a hard standing parking area, you will need permission from the council.
This is sometimes referred to as a crossover or vehicle access over the footway.
Making a dropped kerb application - residential properties only
You can apply for a dropped kerb online through My Account.
This is for residential properties only. For businesses, contact the Highways Maintenance team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications cost £150.
- if you live on a Red Route you will not be able to apply for a dropped Kerb. Details of Red Routes in Croydon
- if you have a bus stop directly outside your property you cannot apply for a dropped kerb
- if you have speed humps or trees close to your property your application may not be approved.
- you must either confirm that
- planning permission is not required
- or provide details of confirmed planning permission
- you must confirm that there is a vehicle registered to your address. Have your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) handy when you apply
- read the terms and conditions and agree to them before you submit your application
A dropped kerb may need planning permission. This is especially true if the parking area is not formed from a porous or permeable material that can help reduce water run off. Check the national planning portal for more information.
You will always need planning permission if the vehicle access is to to a classified road. Check your road against our list.
Submitting a planning permission application
If you require planning permission, you will also need to submit a separate planning application, This costs £206.
Your planning application will need to include drawings that show:
- your proposals meets highway safety requirements
- the parking space meets the minimum size specifications
- the appropriate pedestrian visibility is maintained
- In some cases, your drawings must show that vehicles can enter and leave the site in forward gear with enough visibility.
You can download a diagram showing visibility requirements (the visibility splay).
If you or someone you know is unable to complete the online application, a form is available at the bottom of this page to download and print.
Development & Environment Highways
6th Floor , Zone C
Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk