School complaints

What to do if you have a concern, query or complaint about your child's school.

What to do if you have a concern about a school

The local authority works closely with schools offering support, advice, training and guidance to staff and governors. Each school's governing body has overall responsibility for the school and the head teacher is responsible for the day to day management.

If  you have a concern about your child's school you should speak first to the teacher or in the case of a secondary school, form tutor or head of year. Most concerns can be easily resolved by informal discussion. Remember the more information you have the better able you will be to discuss the matter; fact find by asking the school for information. Obtain copies of relevant policies from the school, e.g. policy against bullying and harassment, behaviour and discipline policy, special educational needs policy etc. However, if these discussions do not resolve the concern, then there is a formal procedure to be followed.

All schools are legally required to have their own complaints procedures which explains the process. The school will be glad to give you a copy if you ask for one. You may also find it on the school's website. Croydon local authority has published the leaflet 'Responding to your concerns in relation to schools' to help guide parents, carers and members of the local community, which is downloadable below. 

There are separate statutory procedures for complaints about SEN & disability assessments and school placements, school admission decisions, pupil exclusion decisions and complaints about the national curriculum, religious education or other related matters. Parents may have a legal right of appeal to an independent tribunal or panel.