Supplementary planning documents
Download Croydon's adopted supplementary planning documents (SPDs) at the bottom of this page.
Draft Suburban Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD2) for consultation
The draft Suburban Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD2) provides guidance for suburban residential developments, development in Areas of Focussed Intensification and extensions and alterations to existing homes across the borough. It is a Supplementary Planning Document to the Croydon Local Plan 2018 and is intended to assist in the delivery of around 10,000 homes in these locations of the boroughs housing target of 32,890 new homes by 2036.
Credit: Matthew Lucraft
The document provides technical design guidance that seeks to both limit any negative impact on places, including the amenity of existing residents, and frame opportunities where increased densities can enhance places and bring benefits to communities.
As per the requirements of Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, the Council is undertaking formal consultation on SPD2 and will seek representations on the draft document. The Council is consulting on the Draft Suburban Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document from 3 September to 15 October 2018. A copy of the consultation document can be downloaded in chapters from the links below along with a representation form should you wish to submit your comments to the Council.
Community sessions will be held across the borough to engage residents, businesses, developers and interested parties on the draft SPD2 which you are invited to attend. Details of these consultation sessions are as follows:
- Tuesday 18 September, 4pm – 8pm, Addington Community Centre, 90 Central Parade, New Addington, CR0 0JB
- Thursday 20 September, 4pm – 8pm, Upper Norwood Library Hub, Westow Hill, London, SE19 1TJ
- Tuesday 25 September, 4pm – 8pm, Kenley Hall, 92 Godstone Road, Kenley, CR8 5AB
- Saturday 29 September, 10am – 2pm, Purley Library, Banstead Road, Purley, CR8 3YH
- Tuesday 2 October, 4pm – 8pm, Christchurch Methodist Hall Addiscombe, 114 Lower Addiscombe Road, Croydon, CR0 6AD
- Thursday 4 October, 4pm – 8pm, Selsdon Community Centre for the retired, 132 Addington Road, Selsdon, CR2 8LA
- Tuesday 9 October, 4pm – 8pm, Shirley Community Centre, 28 Shrublands Avenue, Croydon, CR0 8JA
Viewing the documents and making a Representation
You are invited to view the Draft Suburban Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document. The document is available to view:
- By downloading the chapters from the bottom of this webpage under the ‘downloads’ section
- At the borough’s libraries (during normal opening hours)
- At Bernard Weatherill House (Access Croydon), Mint Walk, Croydon, 9am-4pm (Monday to Friday)
- Alternative formats of the document are available on request at LDF@croydon.gov.uk or 020 8407 1385.
Representation forms are also available at these locations.
You can make a representation by:
- Emailing a completed representation form to LDF@croydon.gov.uk
- Or by posting it to Spatial Planning Service, 6th Floor Zone B, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon, CR0 1EA.
Any representations received before 3 September or after 15 October 2018 will not be accepted by the Council as duly made. Any representation must include a name and either an e-mail or postal address all of which must be legible in order to be accepted by the Council as duly made.
Croydon Council will acknowledge receipt of your representation(s) as soon as possible.
Please note that representations are not confidential, including your name and organisation and will be made publicly available. The addresses and contact details of representations from individuals will not be published on the website or any other public place. You can find a copy of the Council’s privacy notice on our website and at the back of the representation form. You are advised to keep a copy of the representation(s) you submit.
For enquiries or further information: email LDF@croydon.gov.uk or call us on 020 8407 1385.
Croydon opportunity area planning framework SPD
The Croydon opportunity area planning framework (COAPF) was adopted by the council on 22 April 2013 as a supplementary planning document to the Croydon local plan - strategic polices. Furthermore, the COAPF was adopted by the Mayor as supplementary planning guidance to the London plan on 16 January 2013.
The COAPF was prepared jointly by the Greater London Authority (GLA) and London Borough of Croydon (LBC) in partnership with Transport for London (TfL).
The COAPF provides additional guidance on existing development plan policies.
The Croydon opportunity area planning framework, integrated impact assessment and technical appendix can all be viewed below.
Designing for community safety SPD
Sets out guidelines on how to approach the design of developments and external spaces to make the borough a safer and better place in which to live, work and play.
Conservation Area and Locally Listed Buildings SPDs
6th Floor Zone B, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon CR0 1EA
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 1 Introduction [3.3MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 2 Suburban Residential Development [5.9MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 3 Areas of Focussed Intensification [7.4MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 4 Residential Extensions & Alterations [4.4MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 5 Appendix [366.2KB]
- Representation form 2018 - SPD2 [41.1KB]
- Croydon OAPF chapters 1 - 3 (Jan13) [9.7MB]
- Croydon OAPF chapter 4 (Jan13) [10.7MB]
- Croydon OAPF chapters 5 - 9 (Jan13) [9.3MB]
- Croydon OAPF integrated impact assessment (Jan13) [1.4MB]
- Croydon OAPF technical appendix (Jan13) [2.1MB]
- SPD2 - residential extensions and alterations [1.8MB]
- SPD3 - designing for community safety [949.0KB]