Supplementary planning documents
Download Croydon's adopted supplementary planning documents (SPDs) at the bottom of this page.
Draft Suburban Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD2)
The emerging draft Suburban Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD2) provides guidance for suburban residential developments, development in Areas of Focussed Intensification and extensions and alterations to existing homes across the borough. It is a Supplementary Planning Document to the Croydon Local Plan 2018 and is intended to assist in the delivery of around 10,000 homes in these locations of the boroughs housing target of 32,890 new homes by 2036.
Credit: Matthew Lucraft
The document provides technical design guidance that seeks to both limit any negative impact on places, including the amenity of existing residents, and frame opportunities where increased densities can enhance places and bring benefits to communities.
As per the requirements of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012, the Council undertook consultation on SPD2 from September – October 2018, seeking representations on the draft document. The consultation is now closed. The Council will review and consider representations received on the draft document and make amendments prior to adoption in Spring 2019.
Croydon opportunity area planning framework SPD
The Croydon opportunity area planning framework (COAPF) was adopted by the council on 22 April 2013 as a supplementary planning document to the Croydon local plan - strategic polices. Furthermore, the COAPF was adopted by the Mayor as supplementary planning guidance to the London plan on 16 January 2013.
The COAPF was prepared jointly by the Greater London Authority (GLA) and London Borough of Croydon (LBC) in partnership with Transport for London (TfL).
The COAPF provides additional guidance on existing development plan policies.
The Croydon opportunity area planning framework, integrated impact assessment and technical appendix can all be viewed below.
Designing for community safety SPD
Sets out guidelines on how to approach the design of developments and external spaces to make the borough a safer and better place in which to live, work and play.
Conservation Area and Locally Listed Buildings SPDs
6th Floor Zone B, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon CR0 1EA
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 1 Introduction [3.3MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 2 Suburban Residential Development [5.9MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 3 Areas of Focussed Intensification [7.4MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 4 Residential Extensions & Alterations [4.4MB]
- Draft for consultation: SPD2 Chapter 5 Appendix [366.2KB]
- Croydon OAPF chapters 1 - 3 (Jan13) [9.7MB]
- Croydon OAPF chapter 4 (Jan13) [10.7MB]
- Croydon OAPF chapters 5 - 9 (Jan13) [9.3MB]
- Croydon OAPF integrated impact assessment (Jan13) [1.4MB]
- Croydon OAPF technical appendix (Jan13) [2.1MB]
- SPD2 - residential extensions and alterations [1.8MB]
- SPD3 - designing for community safety [949.0KB]