You can apply to the council for permission to have a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) installed on the road next to your property.

This is sometimes referred to as vehicle access over the footway.

Approval from the council is required to create an access to a property by lowering kerbs at the edge of a road. Approval from the council is not required for crossovers on private roads (unadopted roads).

Making a dropped kerb application - residential properties only

It is the responsibility of the owner to apply for a domestic vehicle crossover. If you are not the property owner, you will need authorisation to apply on their behalf. You will need to provide evidence of the owner’s permission.

Please read our guidance document, Vehicle crossover guidance (PDF, 322KB), before submitting an application. If your property does not meet the criteria set out within this document then your application will be refused and no refund will be offered for any payment made.

You can apply for a domestic crossover by downloading the application form (Word 170KB) 

and returning this to:  

The non-refundable application fee of £150 is applicable and can be paid via debit or credit card. We will contact you on the telephone number provided within the application form to take payment.

For business and developers, please download and complete the S278 application form (Word, 324KB)

and return to:  

Planning permission

You will require planning permission if the crossover is to be formed within a classified road or conservation area. Download a list of vehicle crossover classified roads (PDF, 815 KB).

For more information check the national planning portal and our vehicle crossover guidelines (PDF, 329 KB).

Submitting a planning permission application

If you require planning permission, you will also need to submit a separate planning application, This costs £206.

Your planning application will need to include drawings that show:

  • your proposals meets highway safety requirements
  • the parking space meets the minimum size specifications
  • the appropriate pedestrian visibility is maintained
  • In some cases, your drawings must show that vehicles can enter and leave the site in forward gear with enough visibility.

You can download a diagram showing visibility requirements (PDF, 237 KB).


File attachments

Highways maintenance


Highways maintenance team, Floor 6, Zone C, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon Cr0 1EA , United Kingdom