Dropped kerbs and crossovers

How to apply for a dropped kerb outside your home.

Be aware of rogue traders posing as official council contractors offering to illegally drop kerbs across the borough.

All dropped kerbs need permission from the council first. Failure to gain permission could result in significant costs to residents.

You can apply to the council for permission to have a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) installed on the road outside your property.

This is sometimes referred to as vehicle access over the footway.

Approval from the council is required to create an access to a property by lowering kerbs at the edge of a road. Approval from the council is not required for crossovers on private roads (unadopted roads).

Planning permission

You will require planning permission if the crossover is to be formed within a classified road or conservation area. Download a list of vehicle crossover classified roads (PDF, 815 KB).

For more information check the national planning portal and our vehicle crossover guidance (PDF, 149 KB).

Submitting a planning permission application

If you require planning permission, you will also need to submit a separate planning application, this costs £206.

Your planning application will need to include drawings that show:

  • your proposals meets highway safety requirements
  • the parking space meets the minimum size specifications
  • the appropriate pedestrian visibility is maintained
  • In some cases, your drawings must show that vehicles can enter and leave the site in forward gear with enough visibility.

You can download a diagram showing visibility requirements (PDF, 237 KB).

Apply for a dropped kerb

Residential properties

It is the responsibility of the owner to apply for a domestic vehicle crossover. If you are not the property owner, you will need authorisation to apply on their behalf. You will need to provide evidence of the owner’s permission.

Please read our guidance document vehicle crossover guidance (PDF, 389 KB), before submitting an application. If your property does not meet the criteria set out within this document then your application will be refused and no refund will be offered for any payment made.


The cost of the application is £150. This fee is non-refundable and does not cover the cost of constructing the vehicle crossover. This fee covers the processing of your application only, including carrying out a site inspection.

Supporting evidence

You will need the following information and evidence to complete your application: 

  • vehicle registration document (V5C)
  • proof of property ownership i.e. title deed
  • proof of permission from the property owner (if applicable)
  • planning reference number (if applicable)
  • proof of qualifying benefits (if applicable)

Apply now

Business properties and developers

For business and developers, please download and complete the S278 application form (Word, 324KB) and return to: highwaysdevelopment@croydon.gov.uk

Highways development team


Floor 3, Zone C, Bernard Wetherill House
8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom