Upper Norwood, entrances from Church Road, College Green, Bedwardine Road and Westow Street.
6 3/4 acres 2.73 hectares.
- Open park with mature trees
- Children's playground
- Artisan coffee van (seasonal)
Westow Park was originally a small recreation ground acquired by the Council for a children's playground. The ground was enlarged in 1969/70 when the grounds of two houses Windamere and Walmer were included and also part of the "pre‐fab" estate at College Green.
Windermere House was built by Sir MD Wyatt as a private house, but was converted and enlarged by John Norton in 1873‐6 into part of the Royal Normal College and Academy of Music for the Blind. Walmer House was also used by the same College until it was bought by the Corporation.
The houses looked down the hill to a large pond beside Bedwardine Road, this has now been filled in but the ground is still quite wet. Several springs appear during the winter months on the slopes of the park.
There are a number of very large horse chestnut trees in the park which were originally planted in the grounds of the houses.
Upper Norwood SE19 3PP