Addiscombe Recreation Ground
Entrances from Northampton Road, Fryston Avenue and Bingham Road. The Tram service for the park stops at Addiscombe - Route 2.
8 acres, 3.24 hectares
- Children's playground
- 7-a-side football pitches
- Tennis courts
- Basketball court
- Grass areas and flower beds.
- The ground is locked at night.
Football pitches must be booked via sports bookings on 020 8726 6900.
This small recreation ground is completely surrounded by houses and can only be reached on foot. It was acquired under the 1875 Public Health Act in 1905 and was laid out by 1911 when it was shown on the Ordnance Survey Plan for the first time.
The area was previously farm land and on Thomas Bainbridges map of Croydon the area is shown as two fields belonging to A. Adair Esq. Rapid urban development at the beginning of the 20th century, in Croydon and Addiscombe soon covered the farmland with residential houses.
Addiscombe Recreation Ground was once part of the Ashburton Estate, the estate house stood at the corner of Addiscombe and Northampton Roads. It was the country home of the Barings, the heirs of the Barony of Ashburton. The old Farm House also stood on Addiscombe Road with a track called Love Lane running beside it.