- Monday: 9am to 7pm
- Tuesday: 9am to 6pm
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday: 9:30am to 6pm
- Friday: 9am to 6pm
- Saturday: 9am to 5pm
- Sunday: closed
- books, audio books and DVDs for loan
- children's library
- Wordwise collection for children with dyslexia
- WiFi internet access
- free use of PCs including internet access
- colour photocopier
- newspapers and periodicals
- community information
- enquiry service
- children's activities - see below
- reading groups - see below
- writing group - see below
- IT taster sessions - see below
- reading rooms - see below
- 34 study spaces (access to quiet study space in branch libraries is subject to availability and may be affected by events taking place in the library at the time; contact the library for details)
View the full events calendar.
Download information about our latest events below.
Our display boards are available for use free of charge to advertise your club or society.
We run the following free drop-in activities for young children:
- Rhymetime: songs and rhymes with instruments for babies and toddlers, Tuesdays from 10am to 10:30am
- Wiggle and Jiggle: songs, rhymes, dancing and stories for toddlers over 18 months, Tuesdays 11am to 11:30am
- Rock and Rhyme: songs and rhymes with instruments for babies and toddlers, Saturdays 10:30am to 11am
- Storytime: stories and crafts for children aged 2½ and up, Saturdays 11am to 11:30am
Adult reading group
We have 2 adult reading groups. 1 meets on the first Thursday of the month at 10:30am to midday. The second group meets on the second Friday of every month at 10:30 to midday, both groups are currently full, if you would like to go on the waiting list, contact a member of staff.
Adult writers group
Enjoy writing? Ever dreamt of being an author? Then why not join our creative writing group for adults. The group meets on the last Friday of every month at Purley Library from 10:30am - 12noon. Hope you can come.
Knit and Stitch group
Meet on the last Thursday of every month from 10am to midday. If you like knitting, stitching and catching up with friends this is the group for you. Beginners are welcome.
Are you interested in discovering more about your ancestors by taking a journey into your past to build your family tree? If so you may like to learn how to use ancestry. Taster sessions will be held on Mondays at 10:45 to 11:45am, to book a session please contact Purley Library.
We have two separate rooms that are ideal for studying and reading in a quiet environment. These rooms are also on occasion used by regular library groups and outside visiting agencies, please contact the library if you would like to check in advance to see if either of the rooms are free for public use.
There are 2 disabled parking bays on Foxley Lane for badge holders.
There are no other public parking facilities at Purley Library. Use nearby side roads or Purley Tesco. Do not use the car park belonging to the Baptist Church, which is reserved for private functions.
Our community information folders are available for use free of charge to advertise your club or society.
Rooms for Hire
We have a range of rooms available for community related activities.
Contact the supervisor at Purley Library to discuss further.
Food waste bags
Food waste bags cost £5.99 for 100. You can buy these from all Croydon lbraries.
Green waste bags
Food waste bags cost £1. You can buy these from all Croydon libraries.