We want to hear your views on the proposed changes to our library service. Read more and find out how to get involved. Consultation will close on 7 March 2021.
Select and Collect is suspended until further notice due to the high infection rate in the local area. While Croydon Libraries are closed all books will be automatically renewed. Our digital library remains open 24/7 providing online access to thousands of books, magazines and newspapers.
Under current restrictions we cannot open the building to the public. We look forward to welcoming our residents into the new library as soon as it is safe to do so.
How Norbury Library will be different
You said, we did
During public engagement activities in 2016 and 2018, library users told us that access to books, together with space to study, learn and use computers were most important to them about their library.
Earlier this year, over 100 people came to our open day to tell us what they thought about the refurbishment proposals. Their feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Read more about what people told us and view the refurbishment plans in the document at the bottom of this page.
The new-look Norbury Library will:
- have a refreshed book stock
- be a more flexible space with many different areas for smart working, including booths, open table and breakout areas
- have a new, faster IT network, new computers and improved Wi-Fi
The refurbishment will respect the original 1930s features, whilst creating a modern library with improved, accessible community space.
Changes will include:
- swapping the community events room with the children’s library to help reduce noise levels. The children’s library will be a vibrant and colourful space which can be adapted for different activities
- new LED lighting will work with the existing glass ceilings (or lay-lights) to maximise light in the library
- the new flexible events space will also be used as a large study/breakout area connected to a quiet study area; the main library will also have different areas for smart working and study
- the library will be redecorated throughout with new furniture to support the space being as flexible as possible; new lift will make it fully accessible
- Norbury Library Update August 2020 [678.3KB]
- Norbury Library Update July 2020 [342.4KB]
- Norbury Library building work update June 2020 [482.9KB]
- Norbury Library refurbishment plans [9.6MB]
- Norbury Library Update October 2020 [596.9KB]
- Norbury Library update December 2020 [1,021.3KB]