London Borough of Croydon

Applying for social housing

We have almost 5000 households waiting for social housing. There are only around 800 available lettings each year, so we are only able to consider applicants having the greatest need. Even those that are considered are likely to face a lengthy wait, unless they choose areas with the most vacancies. For more information ofn the housing situation in Croydon See the Your Home, Your Move page.

Am I eligible for council housing?

You are eligible to join Croydon's housing register if you are aged 18 or over. Are assessed as having a housing need and are not subject to immigration controls. You can get information and advice about "immigration controls" from the Home Office (Immigration Directorate) by telephone 0870 606 7766 or via the Home Office web site.

Do I qualify to apply for the housing register?

You can apply to go on the council register if:

  • you live in Croydon and have lived in Croydon for at least 3 years
  • you are not registered on another council's housing register
  • you cannot afford to rent or buy a suitable home privately
  • you do not owe rent arrears from a previous tenancy
  • you have not broken the tenancy conditions including anti-social behaviour.

What level of housing need must I have

Your application will go on the housing register where we consider you to have a "high" housing need. This means:

  • you must be at least two bedrooms overcrowded according to the bedroom standard
  • your housing is in a poor state of repair and has a moderate ongoing effect on your health
  • you have a medical condition or disability which is affected by your housing
  • you are homeless according to the Housing Act 1996
  • you need to move on welfare grounds because you are leaving local authority care. 
  • you are a foster carer or adoptive parent and need to move to larger accommodation to accommodate a child looked after by Croydon Council.

Does anyone get more priority for housing?

Yes, if you are assessed as having a housing need you will get increased priority if you are:

  • working
  • training
  • registered as foster carers and adoptive parents by Croydon Council.

Armed forces personnel

If you are a serving or former member of the armed or reserve forces you will qualify and be awarded additional preference. This also applies to bereaved widows and civil partners of deceased service men and women.

How do I apply?

You should complete a housing register eligibility form to find out whether you are likely to be considered for social housing. You can find the the link in 'Apply for it'.

If you are accepted on the housing register, you can check your position on the waiting list online using the online My Account tool. To do this you will first need create an online account with us and select 'housing register'.


Home Office (Immigration Directorate)

0870 606 7766
Address Line:

Apollo House

Block C, Whitgift Centre

36 Wellesley Road

Croydon CR9 3RR


Help downloading files