Home contents insurance

We do not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

Home contents insurance from Thistle Tenant Risks

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist tenants contents insurance policies. Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

Thistle offers insurance for the contents of your home, including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

Reasons to choose pay as you go home contents insurance:

  • no excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)
  • covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks
  • covers tenants improvements) (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)
  • covers contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3000)
  • covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible
  •  covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen
  • you don’t need to have special door or window locks
  • all postcodes are included

Who this policy is for

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance, which Thistle has arranged with a single insurer, Ageas Ltd. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the policy wording (it can be downloaded below, or email housingrentaccounting@croydon.gov.uk for a policy booklet to be sent to you), which you should read carefully. All tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you, contact  us at housingrentaccounting@croydon.gov.uk for more information.

How to apply 

To apply for this for home contents insurance policy, complete an application form, which can be found in the downloads section below, or email housingrentaccounting@croydon.gov.uk or call us on 020 8726 6100 for an application form to be posted to you. Read the important customer information document and insurance product information document, both of which are in the downloads section below. These documents give you important information on your rights, how we deal with you and your insurance, and key information regarding the insurance cover.

Return your completed form to London Borough of Croydon, Health, Well-being and Adults, Housing Assessment and Solutions, Income & Lettings, Rent Accounting Team, Bernard Weatherill House, 3rd Floor Zone A, Mint Walk, Croydon CRO 1EA.

The insurance policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

Complaints process

It is always the intention to give you the best possible service but if You do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should follow the procedure.

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaint’s procedure is available in the downloadable documents below.
Croydon council always aims to get things right first time and we are committed to ensuring that we achieve the highest level of service for our customers. If you feel this hasn’t happened, we would like to hear about it so that we have an opportunity to put things right for you and to improve our service in the future.

Thistle Tenant Risks is a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

You can read our Data Protection Privacy Policy.


Thistle home contents insurance policy document (PDF, 1MB)

Thistle important customer information (PDF, 27KB)

Thistle home contents insurance application form (PDF, 1MB)

Thistle Insurance Services complaints policy (PDF, 360KB)

Home contents insurance complaints process (PDF, 279KB)

Housing service insurance privacy notice (DOC, 25KB)