London Borough of Croydon

What happens when a young person reaches 18

If a young person has ongoing health needs their health team will support them to plan their future.  Transfer to specialist adult health services is managed by the Croydon Joint Community Learning Disability Team - a team of social services and health staff who work together to support adults with a learning disability and their carers.


Age range – over 18.  Must have a diagnosed learning disability with evidence of medical diagnosis in referrals where eligibility is not confirmed. People must be registered with a GP in Croydon.


You will need to be referred by a GP or other health / social care professional.

What the service provides

  • Community Learning Disability Nursing
  • Clinical Psychology
  • Speech & Language Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Dietetics
  • Acute Liaison Nurse service within Croydon University Hospital.

The service works with people with a diagnosed learning disability in supporting them to maintain and gain further independence in their lives. This includes access to mainstream primary and secondary health services, positive behavioural support, communication and healthy living, psychological wellbeing, health education and health action planning.  Services are provided in the home, in residential homes, and supported living within the borough of Croydon.  The service works with Croydon NHS and South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation and Trust.


Croydon Joint Community Learning Disability Health Team, Floor 2 Zone B, Bernard Weatherill House, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon, CR0 1EATelephone:  0208 726 6000 extension 84552See also: and

Continuing health care

Some people may be referred for an NHS Continuing Health Care assessment for adults.

What is continuing health care?

NHS continuing healthcare is free care outside of hospital that is arranged and funded by the NHS. It is only available for people who need ongoing healthcare and meet eligibility criteria. 

Who is eligible for NHS continuing healthcare?

To be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare you must be over 18 and have a complex medical condition and substantial and ongoing care needs. You must have a 'primary health need', which means that your main or primary need for care must relate to your health. If you have a disability, or if you have been diagnosed with a long-term illness or condition, this does not necessarily mean that you will be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare. To find out whether you are eligible your care needs will be assessed by a health professional.  Further information may be found at Carers Direct and also at NHS Continuing Care.


Help downloading files