Information for parents applying for a secondary school place in Croydon outside the normal admissions round ('In-Year' admissions).
Independent school admissions are not managed by Croydon Council. To find out more please visit the Independent Schools Council webpage.
If your child has an Education Health and Care plan that specifies the school best suited for your child’s needs please contact email@example.com for admissions information.
Applying for a School Place:
Step 1: Do your research
- Find secondary schools near you
- Check the webpages for the schools you are interested in for their admissions criteria and application process
Step 2: Complete the relevant application forms
- The majority of schools require you to complete an In-year Common Application Form (download here)
- Some schools require additional information to assess your application which you must provide through a Supplementary Information Form (SIF). The school requiring a SIF must be a preferred school on your application.
NOTE: You still need to complete an application if you have a SIF.
Step 3: Submit completed documents
In-year Common Application Form must be submitted to the school admissions team by:
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org (scanned version)
- Post - Bernard Weatherill House, 4th Floor Zone A, 8 Mint Walk, Croydon, CR0 1EA
NOTE: SIF must be submitted directly to the school of your choice.
Step 4: Wait for confirmation
We will acknowledge receipt within seven days of receiving you application.
After you apply
Once school admissions receive your application, your child will be placed on the waiting list for your preferred schools. We will aim to offer you your highest preferred school where possible. If a school has a vacancy and your child is at the top of the waiting list, you will be offered a place.
If we are unable to offer a school place, your child will continue to remain on the waiting list for the remainder of the academic year. To check your waiting list position please email email@example.com .
If you are offered a place at a school that is not your highest preference, you will not automatically be placed on the waiting list for your higher preference school/schools. You will need to complete the waiting list request form to request to be added to the waiting list.
You will remain on the waiting list until the end of the academic year. If you wish to be considered for the school after this point you must re-apply by submitting a new in-year Common Application Form.
If your child is currently out of education and we are unable to offer a place at one of your preference schools, an alternative offer will be made of your nearest school with an available space.
To find out how to appeal an offer, visit our school appeals page.
• Do you need advice/support in completing your application?
• Have you applied and want to discuss your child’s application?
• Have a general query about an in-year school transfer?
• Is your child out of school?
Come and speak with a member of our School Admissions Team located on the 1st floor of Croydon Central library, every 1st and 3rd Monday of the month 9am to 7pm.
Look out for our pop up surgeries at various libraries within the borough.
An In-Year admission is when you apply for a school place in an existing year group (outside of the normal admissions round) and at a time when your child should already be attending school.
Download the event poster.
- Application for in year admission to Secondary School [203.1KB]
- Secondary School Prospectus 2019-20 [7.8MB]
- Waiting List Request Form [375.4KB]