London Borough of Croydon

1849 - 1965   Local Government District within Surrey

  • 1849  Local Board of Health for St John the Baptist Parish of Croydon
  • 1883  Charter of Incorporation as Municipal Borough of Croydon
  • 1886  Coat of Arms granted
  • 1889  Autonomous County Borough of Croydon comprising all today's Croydon North & Central plus Waddon, much of Croham plus small areas of Selsdon & Purley
  • 1896  Town Hall opened
  • 1965  Abolished. Merged into new London Borough of Croydon

1915 - 1965   Coulsdon & Purley Urban District, within Surrey

  • 1915  Created on abolition of Croydon Rural District
  • 1930  New Council Offices opened
  • 1952/3 Coat of Arms granted
  • 1965  Abolished - Coulsdon East & West, Sanderstead, Kenley, most of Purley & Selsdon plus an area of Croham merged into new London Borough of Croydon

1965 - London Borough of Croydon

  • 1965  Coat of Arms granted