Coronavirus (COVID-19): arrangements for School Admission Appeals
Due to Coronavirus (Covid-19) we are maintaining safe social distancing. Further information on how your appeal will be heard will be provided ahead of the hearing date.
The Department for Education (DfE) has put temporary regulations in place to make School Admission Appeals more flexible. The key changes are:
• hearings should be conducted by telephone or video conference, not face-to-face
• if telephone or video conference is not possible, appeals can be carried out in writing
• appeals lodged as part of the main admissions round should be determined before the start of the September term, wherever possible
See below for information on:
- school admission appeals for reception year
- school admission appeal key stage 2 (year 3) and onwards
School admission appeals for reception year 2020/21
Key stage 1 appeals
The law states that infant classes must be limited to a maximum of 30 children which has an impact on how an appeal is considered. An appeal for a reception place can only be upheld in very limited circumstances.
There are 3 circumstances which an appeal panel can uphold an appeal for a school; if an appeal does not satisfy any of these conditions then it cannot be upheld.
These conditions are:
- the child would have been offered a place if the admission arrangements had been properly implemented
- the child would have been offered a place if the arrangements had not been contrary to mandatory provisions in the school admissions code and the School Standards and Framework Act 1998, and/or
- the decision to refuse admission was not one which a reasonable admission authority would have made in the circumstances of the case; unreasonable in this sense means irrational - a decision which was 'perverse in the light of the admissions arrangements'
Deadlines for completing online appeal forms
Appeals for Croydon community primary schools and the non-community schools/academies listed below must be completed online using the appeal forms in Apply for it.
Croydon community schools: appeals for reception year 2020/21 that are completed online by the deadline of 25 May 2020. We aim to hear all appeals lodged within the normal timescales before 21 July 2020, however some appeals may be heard during August.
Academies listed below: reception year 2020/21 appeals for those academy/non-community schools listed below that were completed online by the deadline of 25 May 2020 will be heard and determined by an appeal panel as soon as reasonably practicable given social distancing guidelines of coronavirus (COVID-19). We aim to hear all appeals lodged within the normal timescales before 21 Juy 2020, however some appeals may be heard during August.
Academies/non-community schools located in the borough of Croydon
- Aerodrome Primary Academy REACH2 Trust
- Applegarth Primary - STEP Academy Trust
- Atwood Primary Academy
- Beulah Infants School - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Chestnut Park Primary School
- Chipstead Valley Primary School - PACE Academy Trust
- Cypress Primary School - Pegasus Academy Trust
- David Livingstone Primary - STEP Academy
- Ecclesbourne Primary - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Fairchildes Primary Academy
- Forest Academy - The Synaptic Trust
- Gonville Primary - STEP Academy Trust
- Heathfield Primary - STEP Academy Trust
- New Valley Primary School - PACE Academy Trust
- Oasis Academy Byron
- Rowdown Primary Academy
- St Peters Primary School Academy - Folio Education Trust
- The Crescent Primary School Academy
- The Minster Nursery and Infant School
- West Thornton Primary Academy - The Synaptic Trust
- Whitehorse Manor Infants & Nursery - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Whitehorse Manor Juniors - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Tudor Academy - STEP Academy Trust
Academies located in the borough of Bromley
- Balgowan Primary School Academy
- Castlecombe Primary School
- Dorset Road Infant School
- Hawes Down Infants Academy
- Hayes Primary School
- Leesons Primary School
- Midfield Primary School
- Pickhurst Infants Academy
- St Mary Cray Primary Academy
Academy located in the borough of Merton
- Beecholme Primary School - PACE Academy Trust
- Stanford Primary School - PACE Academy Trust
In year appeals will be heard and determined by an appeal panel as soon as reasonably practicable given social distancing guidelines of coronavirus (COVID-19). We aim to hear all appeals lodged within the normal timescales before 21 July 2020, however some appeals may be heard during August.
These in-year admission appeals must be submitted online using the relevant appeal form. in Apply for it on the right of this webpage
The following documents are available to download
See also the applying for a school place page for more information on school admissions.
School admission appeals are heard by an independent panel. The admissions authority will explain to the panel why a place could not be allocated for your child. You will need to state to the independent panel the reasons why your child should be given a place despite the fact that the school is up to its 30 place limit per class.
Key stage 2 (year 3) and onwards – in-year appeals
If you have not been offered a place for your child at your preferred school you have a right of appeal under the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (as amended by the Education Act 2001).
If you wish to appeal against the decision not to offer your child a place at a Croydon community school you must complete the appeal form.
For schools that are their own admission authority (such as academies, free and voluntary aided schools), you must check their website for details of their appeal arrangements. The Croydon Independent Appeals Panel hears appeals for the academies listed above and appeals for those academies can be made online.
In-year appeals will be heard and determined by an appeal panel as soon as reasonably practicable given the social distancing guidelines of coronavirus (COVID-19). We aim to hear all appeals lodged within the normal timescales before 21 July 2020, however some appeals may be heard during August.
- Croydon Independent Appeals Service - Guidance note (May 2020) [19.2KB]
- Admission Appeals Timetable 2020 - Community Primary Schools [100.1KB]
- Reception community school appeal hearing outcome data - 2015 to 2020 [79.1KB]
- Admission Appeals – FAQs (updated January 2020) [301.2KB]
- Admission appeals - parents guide (updated 19.04.16) [1.1MB]
- Privacy notice – Croydon Independent Appeals Service [261.6KB]
- Primary schools offer - Reception 2020 [27.4KB]
- Admissions appeal form [19.9KB]