Reception 2016/17 - Key Stage 1 appeals
The law states that infant classes must be limited to a maximum of 30 children which has an impact on how an appeal is considered. An appeal for a Reception place can only be upheld in very limited circumstances.
There are three circumstances which an appeal panel can uphold an appeal for a school; if an appeal does not satisfy any of these conditions then it cannot be upheld.
These conditions are:
- the child would have been offered a place if the admission arrangements had been properly implemented
- the child would have been offered a place if the arrangements had not been contrary to mandatory provisions in the School Admissions Code and the School Standards and Framework Act 1998, and/or
- the decision to refuse admission was not one which a reasonable admission authority would have made in the circumstances of the case. Unreasonable in this sense means irrational - a decision which was 'perverse in the light of the admissions arrangements'.
Deadlines for completing online appeal forms
Appeals for Croydon community primary schools and the non-community schools/academies listed below must be completed online using the School Admission Appeals - Years Reception-2 appeal form in the 'Apply for it' section at the top right of this page.
Croydon Community schools
Appeals for reception year 2016/17 that are completed online by the deadline of 24 May 2016 will be heard within 40 school days of that deadline.
Reception year 2016/17 appeals for those academy/non-community schools listed below that are completed online by the deadline of 17 May 2016 will be heard within 40 school days of that deadline.
Academies/non-community schools located in the Borough of Croydon
- Aerodrome Primary Academy REACH2 Trust
- Applegarth Primary - STEP Academy Trust
- Atwood Primary Academy
- Beulah Infants School - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Chipstead Valley Primary Academy
- David Livingstone Primary - STEP Academy
- Ecclesbourne Primary - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Fairchildes Primary Academy
- Forest Academy - The Synaptic Trust
- Gonville Primary - STEP Academy Trust
- Heathfield Primary - STEP Academy Trust
- John Ruskin College
- Oasis Academy Byron
- Rowdown Primary Academy
- The Crescent Primary School Academy
- The Minster Nursery and Infant School
- West Thornton Primary Academy - The Synaptic Trust
- Whitehorse Manor Infants & Nursery - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Whitehorse Manor Juniors - Pegasus Academy Trust
- Wolsey Junior - STEP Academy Trust
Academies located in the Borough of Bromley
- Balgowan Primary School Academy
- Castlecombe Primary School Academy
- Hawes Down Infants Academy
- Hayes Primary Academy
- Pickhurst Infants Academy
- St Mary Cray Primary Academy
In year appeals
In year appeals will be heard within 30 school days of receipt of their online appeal form.
These in year admission appeals must be submitted online using the relevant appeal form. in ‘Apply for it’ on the right of this webpage
The following documents are available to download:
See the Applying for a school place page for more information on school admissions.
Note: the information provided on your common application form about your school preferences and your order of preference is confidential but information about the ranked position of a school may be released to a school or academy admission authority or to another local authority. The common application form itself may be released for admission appeal purposes.
School admission appeals are heard by an independent panel. The Admission Authority will explain to the panel why a place could not be allocated for your son/daughter. You will need to state to the independent panel the reasons why your son/daughter should be given a place despite the fact that the school is up to its 30 place limit per class.
Key Stage 2 (year 3) and onwards – in year appeals
If you have not been offered a place for your child at your preferred school you have a right of appeal under the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (as amended by the Education Act 2001).
If you wish to appeal against the decision not to offer your child a place at a Croydon community school you must complete the School Admission Appeals - Years 3 onwards in the 'Apply for it' section at the top right of this page.
For schools that are their own admission authority (i.e. academies, free and voluntary aided schools), you must check their website for details of their appeal arrangements. The Croydon Independent Appeals Panel hears appeals for the academies listed above and appeals for those academies must be completed using the School Admission Appeals - Years 3 onwards in the 'Apply for it' section at the top right of this page.
In year appeals
In year appeals will be heard within 30 school days of receipt of the online appeal form.