On 30 November 2018, amending fees regulations, The Registration of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Fees) (Amendment) and Multilingual Standard Forms Regulations were laid in Parliament and are due to come into force on 16 February 2019.
For the local registration service (LRS) the regulations make the following changes to certificate fees, which have been agreed with the National Panel for Registration:
- The three-tier certificate fees will be removed and replaced by one single
- (standard) fee of £11 regardless of when the application is made. The £11 fee will also apply to a Short Birth Certificate.
- The introduction of a statutory priority certificate fee of £35 for a 24-hour service.
The revised certificate fees mirror those that will be provided by the General Register Office (GRO) and remove the disparity between the two services. The fees for the standard and priority service have been set at a national average level to recover costs, and calculated using the new overhead apportionment model introduced for the LRS in the Digital Economy Act 2017 fees regulations which came into force in July 2018 (PO Letter 03/2018).
Croydon Register Office holds records relating to births, deaths and marriages that occurred in Croydon dating from 1837.
What you need to order a certificate
Birth certificate copy
- full name at birth
- date of birth
- place of birth (hospital/home address)
- mother's full name (including maiden name if possible)
- father's full name (if possible).
Death certificate copy
- full name of deceased
- date of death
- name and address of place of death
- maiden surname (if applicable)
Marriage* and civil partnership certificate copy
- venue of the marriage/civil partnership
- date of marriage/civil partnership
- full names of both parties (for the woman, her surname before marriage/civil partnership)
*For church marriages, certificate copies are only available from the Register Office once the church has passed their marriage register to us. Therefore, to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate you may need to contact the relevant church. Please contact the Register Office for further advice.
Same Day Service
We can offer a same day or next day service. These applications must be made in person. The express service is not available for certificates that have been ordered on-line.
- Same Day service (Must be ordered by 12 noon on the day) - £40 payable by credit/debit card only
- Next day Service - £30 payable by credit/debit card only and ready to collect from 3pm the following day
Copies of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates can also be ordered online. Search for "certificate" under "Registrars".
Personal / postal application
A copy certificate can be obtained from the Register Office either by personal application or by post. The fee is £10 for each certificate and they will take a week to produce.
Payment can be made by
- Debit/credit card
- Postal Order
If paying by cheque or postal order, payment should be made payable to Croydon Council. PLEASE NOTE we cannot accept cash payments.
If applying by post please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope and your phone number. If applying from outside the British Isles you will need to send an international money order drawn on a UK bank in pounds sterling.
Croydon Register Office
Ground Floor Offices
Croydon Town Hall
Monday - Friday 9.30am to 4.00pm (Closed on the first Wednesday morning of every month for training )