Simple home safety measures
There is a lot you can do to protect against burglary. It's mostly common sense. If there is no one in your home all day and your home is not looked after, you'll need to take particular care.
Top ten safety tips
The Safer Croydon Partnership brings you its Top Ten Tips to keep burglars at bay.
1. Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
2. Register items with a serial number at: www.immobilise.com
3. Do not leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
4. Always check who's at the door and don't open it if you feel anxious.
5. Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
6. Keep your valuables out of sight.
7. Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
8. Install a visible burglar alarm.
9. Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
10. Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
For more information on how to protect your home visit Operation Bumblebee web page
Safer Croydon e-bulletin
Want to keep up with local news and events on crime and safety in Croydon? Sign up to our Safer Croydon e-bulletin
Home security self assessment (PDF, 287.0KB)