London Borough of Croydon

You will need to apply for a licence under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act if you wish to excavate the public highway to install or maintain apparatus (such as cables, ducts and pipes) and are unable to act under a statutory undertaker's licence.

As a licence holder you must comply with the New Roads and Street Works Act and its associated secondary legislation and codes of practice. It is therefore important that you or your appointed contractor is familiar with the legislation and has the appropriate accreditation. If you apply for a licence and do not comply with the relevant legislation you may be fined.

You can apply for a licence by completing the attached application form. Please read the notes for guidance and terms and conditions document before doing so. Your application should be submitted a minimum of one month before the work is due to start unless a traffic regulation order is required or the works are longer than ten days duration when three months' notice is required. In urgent or emergency situations a shorter period may be agreed.

For your information, within the Croydon road network certain roads are owned and maintained by Transport for London (see Part 5). Should your proposed works fall within these roads then you should contact Transport for London on 0845 600 1703 or email: and apply for a licence through them.

Contents of application pack:

See below for documents of application pack.

Completed applications should be returned to to the address below.

Emailed copies may be sent in advance to the email address below.


London Borough of Croydon

Development and Environment Department
020 8726 7100
Address Line:

Street Works Section

Zone 6C

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk

Croydon CR0 1EA.


Help downloading files