London Borough of Croydon

Skip permits

A permit is required if you wish to place a builder's skip on any part of the highway.

Only skip supply companies can apply for a permit and they are responsible for ensuring that all appropriate regulations are followed. Householders and building contractors are not responsible for applying for skip permits.

A skip permit costs £51 and is valid for 14 days, after which it must be renewed to extend the period of time on the highway. It takes 5 working days to process a skip permit application. Once we start the approval process we cannot make refunds.

Skips placed within controlled parking zones must be located in a parking bay and require a parking dispensation or suspension. Applicants must obtain an exemption from Parking Services before completing the skip permit application and provide the dispensation or suspension details. Visit suspensions and dispensations for more details.

Skips placements on a yellow line are subject to approval.

There are restrictions on certain roads in the borough – check the general guidelines for locations.

Under the Highways Act we can prosecute anyone who does not have a permit before placing a skip on a highway. The Act also allows us to make the issue of a skip permit subject to conditions, including in particular, conditions relating to:

  • the location of the skip
  • the dimensions of the skip
  • requirements for coating the skip with visible paint and other material to make it immediately visible to oncoming traffic
  • the care and disposal of the contents of the skip
  • how the skip is illuminated
  • removal of the skip at the end of the licensed period

Relevant law

Highways Act 1980

General guidelines

For guidance on obtaining a skip read the skip general guidelines.

Tacit consent

Tacit content does not apply. This means you are not allowed to place a skip on the highway until you have received a permit.

Apply online

To apply for a new permit or to extend or renew an existing permit, click on the relevant link at the end of the terms and conditions page.

Failed application redress

Contact the skips permit team on the details below.

Consumer complaint

In the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter, with proof of delivery. If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Contact the skips permit team on the details below.

Trade associations


Licensing team

020 8760 5466
Address Line:

Licensing team

6th Floor, Zone A

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk

Croydon CR0 1EA