New fee taking effect on 1 February 2019
From 1 February 2019 the fee for a hoarding licence will be £283 per 4 weeks.
You will need a licence from the council to erect hoarding on the public highway.
- A licence is valid for four weeks and can only be obtained once a site meeting has taken place with an area enforcement officer.
- Fly posting material and graffiti must be removed immediately.
- If any public utility apparatus is affected by the structure, you must agree access arrangements with the relevant statutory companies.
- The hoarding must be built using smooth, close-boarded timber to a height of not less than 2.44 metres (8 feet).
- The hoarding must be painted in a uniform colour.
- The hoarding must be electrically lit between half an hour before sunset and half an hour after sunrise.
To ensure that work is carried out safely adjacent to the tramway system, prior to submitting your application form, you will need to arrange a site visit with TFL and an area enforcement officer in attendance.
Please see the general licensing conditions in the guidance notes below.
We can serve notice under the appropriate section of the Highways Act 1980 to deal with the removal of the obstruction.
For a copy of the relevant legislation please contact us on the details below.
Application evaluation process
Once your application is received, an area enforcement officer will contact you to make arrangements to carry out a site inspection.
The inspection will be to ensure that the proposed work will not cause an inconvenience or any risk to a road user's health and safety.
Permission may be given subject to conditions which may relate to the following: approved footpath / road closure, nature of work, timescale and the impact on local amenities.
At all times applicants must maintain a satisfactory walk way to pedestrians and consideration for disabled people by allowing a walk way of a minimum 1.2m width.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. Your licence will only be issued to you when the site visit has taken place.
How to apply
Applications and payment are only accepted online, please use the 'Pay for it' link on the left to apply.
Licenses are valid for four weeks. You should submit the fee of:
- £283 licence fee
- £50 per sqm bond payment on enclosed highway.
The bond will be refunded after the completion of work and providing there is no damage to the enclosed public land.
If you already hold a licence and would like to extend you will need to submit a fee payment and provide the new dates.
Failed application redress
Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon CR9 3NG.
Licence holder redress
Any licence holder, who objects to any of the licensing conditions as detailed in the guidance notes below, may appeal to the Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon CR9 3NG.
Area enforcement officer to investigate and pursue complaint.
We would advise in the first instance that in the event of a complaint you make contact with the contractor directly, if you are not satisfied with the response please contact the area enforcement team on the details below.