Apply for a business rate reduction

There are a number of ways to reduce how much you pay for your business rates. You can apply for hardship, discretionary, unoccupied property and small business rate reductions.

A change in rateable value

The rateable value of a property may be changed for a number of reasons. For example:

  • the size of the premises changes due to an extension or other alteration
  • the usage of the premises changes
  • you may appeal against the assessment following a revaluation.


If you feel that your rateable value is incorrect, or if the nature of your premises changes, you can appeal via the Valuation Office. Some changes can' be backdated before 1 April or 1 October of any year. 

Where a rateable value has changed, the district valuer will contact us directly and a we'll issue a revised bill.

If you're awaiting a change in your assessment, it's important that you continue to pay the amount shown on your original bill until the change has been put into effect. If your proposal is successful and you have overpaid, you'll receive a refund.

Rating advisers

You can choose to be represented by a ratings adviser when discussing a change in your rateable value. You can also chose to contact the Valuation Office yourself.

Before you employ a ratings adviser, check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Please note that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues Rating and Valuation are qualified and regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge.

How to apply for a change in rateable value 

Contact the Valuation Office.

Telephone: 03000 501 501



Business Rates South East
Valuation Office Agency
St Anne's House
2 St Anne's Road
East Sussex
BN21 3LG