London Borough of Croydon

We can only count your net or basic rent when calculating your housing benefit.

Many rents include services such as:

  • water charges
  • garages
  • heating, lighting, hot water, fuel for cooking
  • meals
  • use of a laundry
  • care and support.

We cannot usually pay housing benefit to cover these charges.

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant we use the actual rent figure, less certain services.

Housing association tenants

Generally, we can use your full net rent when we work out your housing benefit. In some cases we will need to contact the Valuation Office Agency.

Private tenants

The rules for private tenants are more complicated. If you are a private tenant housing benefit may not cover the full amount of your rent. We ask the Valuation Office Agency to tell us:

  • if your rent is too high
  • what the average rent is for the area in which you live.

We use the rent figure given by the Valuation Office Agency to work out your housing benefit.

For more information visit their website.

If the amount of housing benefit we award you doesn't cover your full rent, you may be eligible for a discretionary housing payment.

If you would like us to pay your landlord, please download, complete and return the form at the bottom of this page.

When the form has been completed, please send it to, Benefits section, details below.


Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support

020 8726 7000
020 8667 8440
Address Line:

Housing benefit section

London Borough of Croydon

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk

Croydon, CR0 1EA


Help downloading files