A discretionary housing payment (DHP) comes from a fund which is limited by central government. We have to consider each case individually and on its own merit. A DHP is not automatically awarded because your housing benefit does not cover your rent. It is important that all relevant information and evidence is included with your application.
If DHP is awarded it is only for a short period of time with customers developing an action plan with us to work towards their affordable long term solution. This could involve one of the following or a combination of the following:
- Moving to more affordable accommodation
- Looking for employment/increasing hours
- Budgeting/maximising income.
DHP will not cover the following:
- Service charges which are not included in your rent
- Overpayments of housing benefit
- Second adult rebate claims
- Support charges - this is for customers who are living in supported accommodation
- Deductions in housing benefit for any other adults over the age of 18 in the household (this will be decided on a case by case basis).
The main criteria for DHP:
- Must be in receipt of housing benefit from Croydon Council
- Must have an affordable long term solution
- Must have a fully completed budget planner including income and expenses.
Before you submit your application please make sure you provide the following evidence to support your claim and avoid delay.
|Shortfall in rent||Removal costs||Rent in advance deposit|
|Budget planner||Budget planner||Budget planner|
|Last three months bank statements||A minimum of three removal quotes||Three months bank statements|
|Three months bank statements||Landlord's contact details|
|Full address of new property including postcode|
Please complete a DHP application form here