Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) are payments made towards housing costs where a person is in receipt of housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. We consider each case individually and on its own merit. A DHP is not automatically awarded because your housing benefit does not cover your rent. It is important that all relevant information and evidence is included with your application.
If DHP is awarded it is generally only for a short period of time with customers developing an action plan with us to work towards affording their own rent. This could involve one of the following or a combination of the following:
- moving to more affordable accommodation
- looking for employment or increasing working hours
- budgeting in order to maximise income.
DHP cannot be used to cover the following:
- service charges that are not included in your rent
- overpayments of housing benefit
- second adult rebate claims
- support charges for people living in supported accommodation
DHP is not used to cover
- deductions in housing benefit for any other adults over the age of 18 in the household (this can be decided on a case by case basis)
The main criteria for DHP:
- you must be in receipt of housing benefit from Croydon council
- you must have an affordable long term solution
- you must have a fully completed budget planner, including income and expenses
Before you submit your application, make sure you provide the following evidence to support your claim and avoid delay.
|Shortfall in rent||Removal costs||Rent in advance deposit|
|Budget planner||Budget planner||Budget planner|
|Last 3 months bank statements||A minimum of 3 removal quotes||3 months bank statements|
|3 months bank statements||Landlord's contact details|
|Full address of new property including postcode|