London Borough of Croydon

How to make a claim for housing benefit and council tax support

If you have a current claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and have seen a change in your earnings due to Covid-19, let us know so we can update your claim

Universal credit and housing benefit

If you are of working age we no longer accept new claims for housing benefit. Instead you should claim Universal Credit. a monthly payment introduced by the government to help with your housing and living costs. The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for administering Universal Credit.

You can only claim housing benefit if one of these apply:

  • you are entitled and remain entitled to a severe disability premium 
  • you are of state pension age 
  • you live in supported accommodation (hostels or sheltered housing) 
  • you live in temporary accommodation provided by Croydon council

How to claim

If you do not fall into any of the above categories to claim housing benefit, you will need to claim Universal Credit online for help with your housing costs.

Claim Universal Credit

If you can still claim Housing Benefit or want to claim Council Tax Support you will need to apply online. To apply use the online benefit claim form
Once you have completed a Housing Benefit or/and Council Tax Support online claim form you will have to provide the information requested in the evidence checklist.  

We will not be able to assess your claim until you have supplied all the proof which is needed. You must provide this information to us within 1 month from the date you make an application for benefit. 

How much you will get

To see much Universal Credit you may get use the benefits calculator 

To work out how much Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you might get, use the benefits calculator

Calculations on the benefits calculator are estimates and may change once your claim has been fully assessed. 

Council Tax

If you need help with paying your Council Tax you must apply for Council Tax Support separately, as this is not included in your Universal Credit payment.


Housing benefit and council tax support

020 8726 7000
Address Line:

Housing benefit section

London Borough of Croydon

Bernard Weatherill House

8 Mint Walk

Croydon, CR0 1EA

Office Hours: 


Help downloading files