Educating your child at home

Some parents choose to educate their children at home, for a variety of reasons. This council, as the Local Education Authority (LEA), supports the right of parents to educate at home and has very few rights to intervene.

Pupils educated by their parents at home

Croydon believes in the value of school-based education but respects the rights of parents and carers to elect to educate their children at home. We believe that every child and young person on elective home education (EHE) should have the right to a balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum experience. We also believe that all children and young people on EHE should be encouraged to achieve their full potential so that they can take advantage of the opportunities offered to them in later life and become valued as responsible and equal members of society.

Parents must accept full responsibility for educating a child at home. We do not provide financial assistance, a curriculum, or tutors for children who are taken out of school by their parents.

Parents of children withdrawn from school for elective home education are not legally obliged to inform the local council themselves, but it is sensible to do so, using the local council registration scheme which exists, in order to avoid subsequent misunderstandings as to how they intend to fulfil their parental responsibility for their child’s education.

We have a duty to intervene if we have evidence that the education offered is not suitable. In order to make a decision on this basis an education officer will make a request to meet with the family, if possible, to view the education being offered. Many parents find this useful to facilitate access to advice and support in regard to education provision. Following the visit a report will be written confirming that provision is efficient and suitable.

For more detailed information about elective home education visit

What if the child has special educational needs?

For a child with an Education Health and Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs which names a special school, the situation is different and we must be consulted and give permission for education at home. We must also take responsibility for ensuring that the Education Health and Care Plan or Statement is regularly reviewed.

Monitoring and Support Teacher (EHE)
Children, Families and Learning

2nd Floor, Zone D, Bernard Weatherill House
8 Mint Walk
Croydon CR0 1EA
United Kingdom