Results day Thursday 24 August

Also: Functional Skills (Levels 1 & 2), Level 2 BTECs and vocational subjects.

How schools issue GCSE results vary. Contact yours and find out how you will receive your results. Ensure you store your results safely; you will need them when you go to your new place of learning or working.

If you got the grades you needed and have applied to sixth form or college

If you have an offer from a sixth form or college, you should have received an email with details of your enrolment date and time. If you cannot locate this, double check with the school or college.

What you need to enrol

  • Your examination results.
  • Proof of identification, e.g. passport/ birth certificate/ Home Office documents etc.
  • Proof of your National Insurance number.
  • Any signatures required from parents/ carers.
  • Any details for any additional support needs/ special educational needs you have e.g. your EHCP.

If the sixth form, you’ve applied to asks you to sit their own test

School sixth forms and colleges should take into account the grades that you have achieved, but they may opt to set their own entry test. Find out how the school or college will support you in order to take the test.

If you did not get the grades you needed

You will need to do one of the following:

  • Get advice from your chosen sixth form or college to find out what (other) programmes you may be eligible for.
  • Make sure your course choice fits in with your career plans and goals. It is essential that you pick the best courses that help you achieve this rather than take a place just for the sake of it. This might mean that you need to rethink your plans.
  • Research your options (again). Some of the websites listed below may help you:

It is essential that you consider all of your options. Speak to your school/ college Careers Adviser to help you make sense of your options and decide on the best one for you.

You can also call the National Careers Service Helpline on 0800 100 900.

If you have not applied to a sixth form or a college

  • Check the London Colleges website to see which colleges are enrolling now.
  • Call the school or college of your choice ASAP. Many sixth forms and colleges have Open Enrolment from a specific date, so you will need to be proactive and work quickly to find an alternative option.
  • Colleges are more likely to have spaces as they offer a wider range of courses. However, as some courses are heavily subscribed you should contact them directly. Check school and college websites about open enrolment days for students without prior applications.
  • Consider an apprenticeship which enables you to gain a meaningful qualification and learn and earn at the same time. Find out more about Apprenticeship in the Croydon Post 16 prospectus or on the Government website.

If you are unhappy with your grades 

If you are unhappy with your grades find out how you can appeal or you consider resitting your GCSEs.

If you are considering resitting your GCSEs

If you are considering resitting your GCSEs, A couple of things for you to be aware of:

  • Check which subjects the school or college offers in terms of resits – in many cases, this is Maths & English only.
  • Some schools may give you the opportunity to re-sit your GCSEs alongside other subjects.
  • Some of the establishments have fees for their resits, be sure to clarify this first.

you can contact one of the establishments below.

This is not an exhaustive list.

If you need a fresh start to learning

Foundation study programmes in Maths and English or ESOL with a vocational area, e.g. construction may work for you. Check the Croydon Post 16 prospectus for a list of providers offering these courses locally.

If you are unsure about any of the advice detailed on this page or need additional help and support, please speak to a careers adviser or other member of staff in your school or college in the first instance.

You can also contact the Post 16 Participation & NEET team, who can provide you with information as well as signpost you to other providers.