Help with school uniform costs

The council does not currently provide help with the cost of school uniform and PE kit.

If you need help with these costs you should ask your child’s school directly.

Discretionary Learner Support

If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get Discretionary Learner Support (DLS) to help with costs.

What you get depends on your circumstances. DLS can be used to help pay for:

  • childcare (if you’re 20 or over - if you’re 19, apply for Care to Learn instead)
  • accommodation and travel
  • course materials and equipment
  • other hardship needs.

For more information visit website

Higher education funding

Contact Student Finance England helpline: 0845 300 5090.

Opening hours

  • Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
  • Saturday and Sunday 9am to 5.30pm.